The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Democrats core values transcend individuals > Comments

The Democrats core values transcend individuals : Comments

By Andrew Bartlett, published 24/10/2006

Senator Natasha Stott Despoja announces she will not be contesting her seat in next year's election.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
I mean bluffitamy, sorry...serves me right for writing comments on the fly.
Posted by David Jackmanson, Monday, 30 October 2006 10:13:45 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I know the feeling, my mind had been flitting from place & subjects all day, David Jackmanson,

I had been checking on Andrew Bartlett’s comment elsewhere on the forum, & just copy his name & pasted on browser, to get his official website. I read through a few subjects & came across one where he claimed we could comment, and it led me back to the forum and his piece here on the non-democratic Democrats, you did draw my attention to your comments here, & although I may not understand what you are saying or mean, I defend your right to say your piece.

I also briefly checked out Pru Goward’s at the ‘sex discrimination,’ web site and whilst she could be qualified for the position, I was not impressed with her & hubby being so pally with John Howard. Like, jobs for the girls & boys, you scratch my back, and I will scratch yours.

Most of my day had been taken up with reading a book a friend has loaned me called “Ten Years,” by Roseanne Catt as well as checking archives in 60 minutes & 4 corners to get the news I had missed, on her case. I am quiet annoyed with the NSW Prison Officials coming to Queensland for the “Sisters Inside Conference” & telling us how good they are at rehabilitating these bad women. Yet the book by Roseanne Catt has some damning words to say about the NSW System. Sorry, I cannot say any more, or I will be up for contempt. You will have to buy, borrow or find a copy of the book to learn what I mean.
Posted by bluffitamy, Tuesday, 31 October 2006 1:21:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
bluffitamy

It is just Bartletts link to this forum that has no comments, just an ad for this forum I suppose. All his other topics are open. try this link http://www.andrewbartlett.com/blog/

i have no time for the Democrats but Bartlett as an individual has developed the best politicians blog in the country (and the first) where he not only allows a diversity of opinion but also engages in the conversation.

If you are into prison stuff,

I believe he would be very receptive to the issues of Sisters inside, especilly as it may relate to federal issues (such as immigration detainees). he has stepped into Qld. state Aboriginal issues in the absense of any state opposition (not even from the Greens) and I am sure he would do what he could for state prison issues too. i know he has behind the scenes in the past.

dig deep into the past and you will find connections between him and Queensland prison struggles of the 80's through his work with 4ZZZ when they set up the first prisoners program, which was central to bringing on the Kennedy enquiry into prisons.

He wasn't directly involved but the whole ZZZ collective supported what was going on.

dont judge a book by their bookends.
Posted by King Canute, Friday, 3 November 2006 5:16:12 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
And on another issue,

The Greens only elected representative in Queensland, Erykah Kyle the Mayor of Palm Island has just resigned, which I am sure the Greens will ignore as solidly as they did her existence as a politician.

The last connection of relevence to Aboriginal issues in Qld. that the Greens had has dissappeared, leaving Bartlett as the only politician anywhere to at least have done the groundwork and consultation with Aboriginal Australia and develop relationships to even be able to talk publically about Aboriginal issues with any integrity.

I am not happy that this role has been left to such a wishy washy politician as a Democrat, but that is the sad truth of the matter.

Anyone who gives a damn about Aborigines in Queensland should vote 1 for Bartlett in the election. If he is replaced by a Green or Family First that last constructive link between politicians and Aboriginal Qld. is broken.
Posted by King Canute, Friday, 3 November 2006 5:30:58 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy