The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Boys need not be boys forever > Comments

Boys need not be boys forever : Comments

By Tim Martyn, published 13/10/2006

Measuring masculinity - how many or how much, how many killed; how many conceived and how much in the bank.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Oh dear, here we go again.

Lets look at the so-called rights of passage, from being a child to being a man. Many primitive cultures around the world have this process, for example when the young boy moves from the women’s house into the men’s house. These cultures have very defined roles for men and women, with laws and rules about behaviour and what each gender is expected and allowed to do. These laws and rules evolved over many centuries and were designed so that that community could function and survive.

Yet for each different culture, the beliefs, rituals and the laws are different to suit the particular needs of that community. For perhaps, almost all these cultures and without getting into “analysis paralysis” the gender roles were strictly defined for the greater good of the community.

In our liberal western culture much has been lost in raising boys. Boundaries that once existed, nolonger exist and for this we pay the price.

In the last forty years masculinity has been under severe assault. If we cannot treat boys and men with respect, things will only get worse.
Posted by JamesH, Friday, 13 October 2006 10:10:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A very decent article. One aspect of growing up many people can associate with is the peer pressure that compels those who cave in to undertake activities which are not in line with their values but instead the values imposed by a confused and scared majority. Many of us can relate to this pressure and are relieved to remember it as part of growing up. But does peer pressure abate once we ‘grow-up’? It seems the values merely change. The pressure to drink is still present. There are still expectations about how one should dress and look. Expressing feelings (love, fear happiness) is still not considered socially acceptable. And pursuing individual dreams which don’t fit with mainstream attitudes still requires courage and determination.

I knew a boy in primary school who used to boast to us about the possessions he owned and gathered friends by appealing to our desire to be in his shoes. As I grew up, this desire waned as I questioned why I admired him and realised there was nothing of substance to admire. Without this self reflection I may still be admiring and attempting to emulate those who flaunt their wealth, their physical presence or their material possessions in the hope they will remain a member of the ‘cool group’.

The majority of boys and men (and women for that matter) will always attempt to seek the acceptance of others before accepting themselves.
Posted by Proust, Friday, 13 October 2006 10:22:09 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Meh. I think most of this is fuelled by perception.

Yes, kids are getting drunk and acting stupid. But stupidity is not confined to this generation. I can recall chatting to a few lads who reminisced about their days back in the 50's. They'd get hammered in big tin sheds then drive around, quite solidly drunk, and the night wasn't considered complete until one had been in a fight, made a female conquest, or both.

It doesn't seem all that different to today. Perhaps there are just more teenagers and due to TV and media, we're seeing more of what's going on. What's more, with more kids and more communication, we have a critical mass of sorts. It isn't necessarily some pervasive drop in values - those values have always been there, now we're just seeing them.

To paint the youth of today as reckless, leaderless yobbos is to do them a disservice. They're smarter, savvier, and more aware than any generation before them. And perhaps a lot of this concern is because they don't want to toe the line.

The flower children of the vietnam era were supposed to herald a new age of peace. They caved in to consumerism.
Perhaps this generation has been jaded by the failures of the past few.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Friday, 13 October 2006 1:15:14 PM
How Glorious it would be...if we challenged the idea of it being 'manly' to get blotto, and many other spurious ideas that young men seem to gravitate to in their quest to be 'men'.

We should look for specific substitutes and encourage them through family and education.

Cultures with more clearly defined male and female roles are 'balanced'. We are just a slow motion train wreck in the process of seeing passengers and materials strewn across the countryside as it all falls apart.

Young men would love something to aspire to I'm sure. When I was a cub, I longed for the approval I would receive when I EARNED my such and such a badge.
At each step, the self esteem grows.

What a tragic society when 'manhood' is defined in terms of drunknenness, sexual conquest, doughnuts with the wheels, and the such like.

The blurring of the roles between males and females has contributed to a deterioration of our sense of identity and self worth.

There "is" an alternative......
Posted by BOAZ_David, Friday, 13 October 2006 5:34:36 PM
For decades we have taught boys that at best they could aspire to becoming defective girls. At worst they would growp up to be violent rapists and responsible for all that is wrong in the world.

But then the girls have been taught career, status and Zampatti clothes first and family and nurturing children a distant (underachieving) second.

Our society lauds materialism and individuality (as opposed to concern about community). Have a look at the personal values being modelled by our leaders - all spin, get away with what you can and make a wad of dough. No long term vision at all.

So what transitions are we talking about here? There seem to be no higher values to achieve to for either sex (whoops, gender).
Posted by Cornflower, Friday, 13 October 2006 6:30:25 PM
Cornflower, you make my day.

What a woman!

Too bad I'm already married - just joking you understand.

If I ever get the time i'd like to address this article in depth, but for now, you've done the lion's share of speaking up for our boys. You and JamesH of course. A sad indictment of our men and women folk.

I read somewhere you hail from Queensland. You wouldn't have a "price tag" to your name would you?

If you don't know what that means, please don't take offence. I just wonder if you are somebody I know of and if so, then you'd get that cryptic clue.

Otherwise, you certainly are right on the money in your posts and doing a great job for humanity and common decency. Salute.
Posted by Maximus, Friday, 13 October 2006 8:24:47 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy