The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > s11's impact shown through graphic novels > Comments

s11's impact shown through graphic novels : Comments

By Darlene Taylor, published 3/10/2006

Perhaps ironically, the real impact of the Twin Towers' destruction can best be seen through a comic book's eye

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Sounds like an interesting comic book and I look forward to reading it.

I really enjoyed 'V for Vendetta', a film, based on a comic book about a tyrannical govt. that stages a terrorist attack against its own people in order to pursue an agenda of military expansion and suppression of liberty at home, its an excellent piece of 'fiction'....
Posted by Carl, Tuesday, 3 October 2006 10:46:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I can't say I've seen spiegelman's latest offerings, though I did read Maus. Utterly brilliant.

We naturally recoil when we see certain images, especially those with impact such as the holocaust. I tend to think we are incapable of dealing with that images that disturbing, which can disrupt our appreciation for the narrative.

Maus was brilliant in that it managed to convey the horrors, without that knee-jerk shock and it managed to do it in a way that still managed to be respectful.

Indeed, I'll have to read 'in the shadow of no towers.' Try it on for size.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Tuesday, 3 October 2006 11:22:44 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To dangerous to make fun of Isalm or even to blame them for the obvious. It's a lot easier to come up with something comical where you know the targets are not going to start riots. Thank God America is free enough to allow this garbage. Its film makers and journalist seem to gutless to publish a few cartoons so why not create fantasy.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 3 October 2006 3:05:50 PM
Hiya Darlene

Alas I have time not for 9/11 reading.

My days and nights are spent reading intelligence and counterterrorism material and blogging on the same topics.

But your essay shows there is literature and imagery out there that is different from the official and looney lines on 9/11.

I'll visit your blog at http://thespinzine.squarespace.com soon.

aka Spooky Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Tuesday, 3 October 2006 3:09:09 PM
Thanks for your comments. They're much appreciated.

I haven't read V for Vendetta, but I'm certainly aware that it's very popular. I will give it a look. I must admit to being more of a fan of autobiographical and/or realist graphic novels.

I should point out that there is a lot of discussion about whether these kinds of books should be called comics or graphic novels. It doesn't really bother me, but it certainly gets some fans of the genre going.

Maus is an exceptional work. It's interesting that Maus was (rightly) widely praised, but when In the Shadow of No Towers came out as individual comic strips, Spiegelman found it hard to get a publisher. I'd certainly recommend it, but it's obviously a more controversial work than Maus.

Satire is not necessarily comedic. I think Spiegelman's limited analysis of Islam in Towers is unfortunate. Nevertheless, it's important for any society to have its dissidents. While I found In the Shadow of No Towers often ideologically objectionable, I also found it interesting, challenging and a fine piece of work.

Spooky Pete, it’s real good to hear from you, and thanks for dropping by my blog
Posted by Darlene Taylor, Tuesday, 3 October 2006 4:36:05 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy