The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > One polemic too far > Comments

One polemic too far : Comments

By Nahum Ayliffe, published 20/9/2006

Pope Benedict detonated a thought bomb outside the mosques of the world last week.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. All
Many displaced Christians in the West are often people in search of a more plausible philosophy than Christian supernaturalism. They need to carry on the essentially Christian search for the miraculous. The same “I am the Truth, the Life and the Way” has its parallel in zen Budhism.

Although not a Buddhist, I find the following strangely re-assuring, “In Buddhism there is no place for using effort. Just be ordinary and nothing special. Eat your food, move your bowels, pass water, and when you're tired go and lie down. The ignorant will laugh at me, but the wise will understand.”

I think the danger is, we can over intellectualise, craving a raison d'être – the ‘West’ seems to forget, the ‘East’ as an equal part of our hemisphere, puts intuition, perception and instinct ahead of reason. Politics, as a separate entity, needs to be ‘informed’ and influenced by this.
Posted by relda, Thursday, 28 September 2006 2:47:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Relda - now you're really talking!
Posted by K£vin, Thursday, 28 September 2006 9:27:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy