The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Blaming Muslims equals more votes > Comments

Blaming Muslims equals more votes : Comments

By Syed Atiq ul Hassan, published 19/9/2006

Why is Prime Minister Howard so worried about the spoken English of Australian Muslims only?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Not all monoculturalists are terrorists, but all terrorists are monoculturists.
Posted by Mercurius, Wednesday, 20 September 2006 10:29:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Attempting to communicate with someone who has poor command of the English language can require bouts of intense concentration and is more often than not mentally exhausting.

Given my sensitivity to having to concentrate for a while and the general unpleasentness of using my brain, I absolutely condem any kind of communication that requires a bit more effort than normal.

We have enough to worry about in this country without being exposed to the risk of overhearing foreign tongue or having to repeat yourself at the Seven Eleven.

I for one intend to protect my fellow English speaking Australians from the traumatic experience of having to converse with a non-English speaking migrant.
Posted by strayan, Wednesday, 20 September 2006 10:15:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hells Angel,

"Islamists can literally kill thousands innocent civilians in a matter of minutes. "

I recall the record is still held by the west, with its democratic values and 'freedom'.

More than 100 000 lives taken in a few seconds, (WWII, Truman), and all part of a cynical experiment. Terrorism is still very much the domain of the state, and the state, compared to the small-scale terrorist, wins hands down every time.

regrds,

Derek
Posted by dereklane, Wednesday, 20 September 2006 11:50:23 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Your welcome F.H.

actually, I raised a discussion in the general section, about 'GEORGE W BUSH, MESSENGER OF GOD....which is of course tongue in cheek.

I compared his approach to that of Mohammed during the time of the campaign of Tabuk. I'd value your assessment of my understanding from a Muslim historical point of view. Nothing like a bit of flack to hone up the argument :)
By all means point out any flaws or weaknesses in what I present, and I'll dutifully consider it.

I continue to have a great friendship with my Iranian Muslim friend at gym. He has a son who is a good kickboxer. He told me the other day about this ooold lady he picked up (he drives a taxi) who told him 'Now..don't try to KISS me".... then, when he delivered her to her address, she invited him inside for a coffee.. and then SHE wanted to kiss him :)

You might want to distance urself from him though... he eats pork and drinks :) A very warm hearted and friendly guy. I'm hoping he is not using taxi driving as a cover for Iranian Intelligence ... never know these days. I'm hoping to invite him and family to my place for a meal as soon as I have 'a place' :)

cheers also and blessings to you.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Thursday, 21 September 2006 7:58:58 AM
strayan

It seems likely that you have never tried to learn another language yourself. If you don't make the effort to listen to those trying to speak English they will not get the practice anf how the bloody hell will they learn?
Posted by logic, Thursday, 21 September 2006 8:18:28 AM
Hi Boaz,

I 'deliberately' took the bait and posted a comment. Please maintain intellectual honesty.
Good luck to you and your Iranian friend and wish him a happy Ramadan from me. Its fasting and meditation time.

PS: whats your obsession with the pork and alcohol anyway?
I thought alcohol is a main reason for accidents, domestic violence, etc..

Peace
Posted by Fellow_Human, Thursday, 21 September 2006 11:19:36 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy