The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Kicking our old colony in the guts > Comments

Kicking our old colony in the guts : Comments

By Chris Harries, published 22/9/2006

When media exposure of PNG does more harm than good.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
So the media tells only a fraction of the truth about PNG. What’s new? That’s what the media usually does.

The fact remains that PNG is a awful place, thanks to its awful politicians – most of them ‘Sir’ something or other – and the fact that Whitlam dropped the country when it was not ready for independence
Posted by Leigh, Friday, 22 September 2006 10:27:58 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
[Deleted for flaming. Poster suspended.]
Posted by Kekenidika, Friday, 22 September 2006 11:29:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Kekinidika,

How well you handle opinions differing from yours. Congratulations!

I’m surprised that you are only certain that ‘almost everyone’ thinks I’m a fool. Surely, everybody else agrees with you, and thinks I’m a fool. After all, even though you have never expressed an opinion of your own on anything on OLO, you seem to believe that you know everything. I mean, you only have to call my opinions ‘mendacious’ without saying why, and everybody will believe you. None of that ‘I think Leigh is wrong because …’ nonsense needed in your case.

By ‘yet to make even one positive comment on anything’, do you mean that anything you don’t agree with is negative? My beliefs and opinions are very positive. How many posts of mine have you actually read?

Vicious? Maybe. Incompetent? I seem to be able to make you lose the plot and make a fool of yourself. Like most people, I’m good at some things, not so good at others. But, are you someone I know? You seem to be an expert on me. Viscous? Sticky, adhesive or glutinous. Don’t follow that one. Cretin? How could anyone allow themsleves to become so upset by a cretin? And, you don’t have to read what I say. Stop, and you won’t feel so ‘unfortunate’.

By the way, what do you think about PNG? And, do you know a good dentist
Posted by Leigh, Friday, 22 September 2006 12:17:25 PM
As a journalist I can appreciate Chris Harries frustration with PNG's bad press - its just a fact of life 'big men' raskols, HIV/AIDS and the rest is what makes it ...mostly. But there was the stunning picture of the annual Goroka sing-sing, men dancing, fully committed to a unique highlands culture and to hell with Australia. After all we gave them the Fly River disaster, the Lihir Gold scramble, Manus Island detention centre and the legacy of Bouganville copper. Maybe Chris could inspire an Australia-PNG peoples friendship society to redress the balance. Paul 'Kokoda' Keating would make a good patron.
Posted by jup, Friday, 22 September 2006 3:54:28 PM
Paul Keating might make a good patron but the question is can we afford the travel allowance? We fund PNG to the tune of AUD$250 million plus each year. If Mr Keating were to get busy claiming T/A we'd surely see a massive blowout in our PNG budget.
Posted by Sage, Friday, 22 September 2006 4:21:19 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy