The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > In politics, as in football, winning is not that simple > Comments

In politics, as in football, winning is not that simple : Comments

By Lindsay Tanner, published 12/9/2006

No government can deliver everything its one-eyed fans want.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Lindsay, firstly let me say I am an avid supporter of yours, you talk sense in a way the ordinary Australian can understand. What my comment would be to you is that the federal ALP should remove obstacles that prevent the winning of Government. Frame polivies for the working class and aspirational voters, and don't forget the ALP's commitment to we pensioners.

Just in case you are left in any doubt, Jamie Packer, Richard Pratt and other wealthy people will never vote Labor, so if the ALP looks after the people who will possible vote ALP, obviously there is a greater chance of winning, I can picture Bob Hawke having a great time with Allan Bond, and Kerry Packer.

Seek out the aspirations of ordinary working people, and build policy around those aspirations, you should also promote yourself a little better, I have read a book written by you, and believe you possess much more talent than you display.
Posted by SHONGA, Tuesday, 12 September 2006 1:03:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This man is nuts, a multicultural extremist and I should know. I have written numerous letters and all I got is the same old propaganda. Take public housing for instance, there is up to a 15 year waiting list for Australian born battlers. Not for the Sudanese that have'nt even been here for 12 months, they get one straight away. Vanity is all labour cares about, even if that means trawling the third world too then say to Aussie battlers 'hmmm, there are people in the world worse off than you' to justify tossing Aussies aside.
Posted by hells angel, Tuesday, 12 September 2006 2:21:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
hells angel,
Are you aware of how much funding for public housing has been cut by the Howard Government, in Queensland Howard has cut in excess of $600 million for public housing. Howard calls the tune old mate.
Posted by SHONGA, Tuesday, 12 September 2006 4:09:32 PM
No government can deliver everything its one-eyed fans want.

Politicians have little trouble in delivering everything MPs want. Subsidised dining rooms; large white car; free petrol; free mobile phone; overseas trips; the most generous pension scheme in the world; a very thick pad of T/A claim forms; and more. I could go on but the limit is 350 words.

Lindsay, you speak like a true politician.
Posted by Sage, Tuesday, 12 September 2006 11:28:12 PM
Shonga, I loath Howardism too.
But Lindsay ( there, I employ a fraternal use of his name) has initiated a possibly risky play (resulting in a fumbled chest-mark?). I have gathered the crumbs for a free kick at goal.
He uses a football analogy in a plea for (yet further) unquestioning acceptance of the most egregious set of policies, behaviours and secrecy.
Firstly, the Club (again) expects we players to cop hip and shoulder for the benefit of the johnny come-lately mortgage belt greed-drunks under the scoreboard, who contribute nothing and only take.
We are chided for resenting a federal team that only hip and shoulders its own (Germaine Greer by Rudd and Beattie was only the latest example) and has been a wooden spooner for ten years. We have a captain who only kicks goals for the opposition- the latest being the "oath" nonsense made instead of a manly demand that the other team lead (finally) by example as to loyalty to this country. It's easy to king-hit helpless mossies, but what about REAL opponents?
Recruitment of new talent? Is the example we should think of the preselection farce in Victoria a few months ago? Genuine thinkers are forced out, or rot on the back benches, for those whose one characteristic to supinely suck up to the Grouper factional line.
Right across the Eastern States, as far as the reserves teams are concerned, the same mistakes are committed over and over again. The botched PP infrastructure "plays" are repeated constantly. Attacking opportunities, when they do show, are wasted on behinds and the national project game slips away, in the interests of "developers" who reject the goals of labor.
We fans wondered what a couple of recently-retired NSW players were doing with back-pockets facing Macquarie bookies, after the 4 Corners episode on the Lane Cove Tunnel earlier this year, however. Then we wondered why the material for the goal posts was being woodchipped in Tasmania, when it was our turn to kick with the wind.
Finally, they handballed the last Senate seat to FF.
Another twenty-goal hiding!
Posted by funguy, Wednesday, 13 September 2006 1:29:20 AM
Sen. Ray: " You must understand there is NO vanguard; not even a centre-left. Only 'pragmatists'. Do you understand?...ONLY 'pragmatists'- all like Steve Irwin, no Germaine Greer. AL LIKE like Steve...NO Greers. "
Newcastle Branch (in sonambilistic voice): "We hear and obey. Bring up the Sussex Street candidate".
Rank and File: "Arrgh, All hope is lost!".
K9: "Affirmative!"
Tanner: " Yes. Remember my instructions. All hope is lost. Listen and remember. Remember what ( former ) factional Dalek Ray says. There is NO 'Vanguard'. There will be NO principles before expediency or common sense environmetally-sustainable economics prior to the interests of the Developers.. All that counts is the Will of the Factions before Immutable Market Forces."
Electorate: " But, what about us?.. what about our children's future?.. what about self-respect?".
Tanner: " I have told you (metalic humm ) Forget Futuris. Forget historical and cultural memory- live only in the unsatisfying transitory "now" of Giddenish Blair New Labor and fetishist consumerism, where you will be unconsciously socially reproduced, perhaps to uncomprehending poverty.. Exterminate all with a conscience. Lobotomise all capable of independent rational thought. Exterminate. Exterminate and then RETURN TO AUSTRALIAN IDOL!
Remember, I said everything is hunky-dory. I tell you so, myself. Everything...hunky -dory! Happy stories... Bunnings...4-Wheel drives...Crazy John's...SixtyMinutes...Neighbours...Guthy renker...Endemol...Bigmacs...4x(belllccchhhh)"
HEAR and OBEY!( metallic hum )."
Sensitive Soul, belatedly realising truth: "Uarrrgggghhhh!"
Posted by funguy, Sunday, 24 September 2006 12:41:51 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy