The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Thanks due to a wild character > Comments

Thanks due to a wild character : Comments

By Barry Cohen, published 6/9/2006

Steve Irwin was our best-known export but he played with fire one too many times and confused the environmental cause.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
I think a lot of people would've have found Steve Irwin's over-the-top 'fair dinkum' Aussie mannerisms pretty painful, but no one can deny that he was a passionate, genuine guy who was simply trying to share his love with for country with others!

As for saying "My other concern regarding Irwin's presentations is that the conservation of Australian wildlife is not show business", Mr. Cohen, in our consumer-driven society, is there something wrong with using the tools available (ie. film and advertising) for a good cause - conservation?

Finally, if their are people out there who watch Irwin wrestling a crocodile and think "If he can do it i can do better" then they must pay the consequences for their foolishness. Should we, or Steve Irwin, be responsible for their stupidity in ignoring danger signs (or common sense!)

Irwin's death is a very sad day for the Australian public. Instead of being critical, i think we should all learn from the passion and enthusiasm Irwin showed, and ensure that our unique wildlife isn't lost along with him.
Posted by Sketch, Wednesday, 6 September 2006 12:37:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I hear that the Prime Minister is offering to name a Wildlife Sanctuary after the Larrikin. Sounds like a good idea to me. In fact I'd rename the reef where he died in Steve's honour also. Steve threw most of his income back into enviromental projects and tracts of bushland. I think he'd have liked to see more money spent on saving animals than a State Funeral. He was rather humble in life and not what you'd call a high roller despite all his millions. Why would he have wanted it any differently in death. I think an excessively over the top street march would merely be a chance for the masses to celebrate a homegrown hero.

One thing is absolutely certain. Nobody is ever going to fill those boots. He just can't be immitated.
Posted by WayneSmith, Wednesday, 6 September 2006 1:14:16 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think it is disrespectful to criticise Steve Irwin so soon after his death. Can't people wait for their commentary? Some of us are friends and family of Steve, and I can't think of anyone liking flippant statements made after a tragedy like this.

I particularly think that Germain Greer has shown herself to be a bitter and twisted old cow to make such disrespectful dribble within hours of his death.

Just wait a week or so and then discuss this.
Posted by saintfletcher, Wednesday, 6 September 2006 11:44:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
i think we should respect the guy's family and halt any criticism. Most of us wouldn't do what he did, but he was highly skilled in this sort of thing, and had a freak and fatal accident. Anyone stupid enough to attempt to wrestle with a crocodile after seeing Steve Irwin doing it, deserves what they get and its not his fault. He may have been a little bit over the top, but his passion for what he did and his acheivements far outweigh many of his harshist criticts, especially that Germaine Bloody Greer.
Posted by silent minority, Wednesday, 6 September 2006 11:47:11 PM
I fail to see why the likes of Germaine Hag were aired in the 1st place?
I mean who gives a jot what old vinegar tits has to say..
A woman who has powdered milk in her udders shes that old, why would anyone care what she had to say?
Channel 7 will do anything for rating , opportunistic creeps, and all the polls (1900... numbers)to go along with the hype around what she said...money grabbing disgusting blah,blah blah.

Yes she was a nasty bit of work but hey !where is theyre editorial savvy and sensitivity?.I hate the lack of ethics and morals shown by commercial channels.
Posted by OZGIRL, Thursday, 7 September 2006 8:43:45 PM
if the world worked according to Spewmaine Greers logic, shouldnt she have been beaten to death by a middle class couple by now? preferably with a rolling pin??
Posted by sugarbaby, Friday, 8 September 2006 7:32:42 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy