The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Silly sceptics thrive on bias > Comments

Silly sceptics thrive on bias : Comments

By Tony Abbott, published 29/8/2006

The media has double standards when it comes to Christianity and politics.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Mr Abbott writes in regards to biased news journalism, "That [a handful of effective conservative reporters] hasn't altered the dynamic of the newsroom and, if anything, has intensified the "give no quarter" attitude of the Left-liberal media mainstream."

Absolutely correct Tony.

The poor sad elite in media still don't get it - that the rest of us out here, "we the public", don't think like they do. And then, the poor little dears, they wonder why their mainstream media advertising profits are heading south.
Posted by Maximus, Tuesday, 29 August 2006 11:09:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good article Tony,

I agree that the vilification of some of leading conservative commentators is disgraceful, such as the ABC's treatment of Alan Jones. These commentators tend to be very much more in tune with the average Australian, than the majority of the left-wing media. Evidence for this? The clear mandate given to John Howard at the last election.

I'm not a Christian, but I hardly think Christian ideals are particularly bad ideals to be motivating our leaders.

gw
Posted by gw, Tuesday, 29 August 2006 11:12:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Every position has been argued on the basis of human values, not religious teaching." - fair comment but as a former christain I'm all to aware of the churches willingness to "spin" their stance.

The core stance comes from the religious teaching, then you go look for "facts" to justify your position. Often it does not matter how misrepresentative those facts are just as long as they have some believability and support your position.

Tony and others may argue their positions on the basis of human values but all to often it is their belief in the dictates of an imaginary god that is driving what they seek to impose on others.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Tuesday, 29 August 2006 12:40:49 PM
Some developments we would not see if Mt Abbott's religious views prevailed:

divorce
abortion
contraception

All of them now with widespread acceptance. The difficulty in using Christianity as a basis for moral development, is the inevitability someone will take themselves too seriously and advocate we follow the laws described in the OT. And who could argue with them?

If "Every position has been argued on the basis of human values, not religious teaching", who determines which human values count?
Posted by bennie, Tuesday, 29 August 2006 1:11:33 PM
"Ambush Interview"

TONY JONES: Tony Abbott on another matter, have you met Archbishop Pell during the election campaign?

TONY ABBOTT: Not that I can recall.

TONY JONES: Not that you can recall, because we believe that you've had at least one meeting with him quite recently?

You don't recall that?

TONY ABBOTT: Well, when?

Where?

TONY JONES: At the presbytery in Sydney.

TONY ABBOTT: Ah, actually now that you do mention it, I did met with Cardinal Pell.

So what?

Why shouldn't I meet with Cardinal Pell?

TONY JONES: Why couldn't you recall meeting him, I think, 10 days ago?

Sorry Porkys Tony
Posted by Steve Madden, Tuesday, 29 August 2006 1:38:22 PM
Poor Tony,

Doesn't like the idea separation of church and state... Needs Pell to decide his policy on not only Parliamentary, but Ministerial duties.

Believes that he is a devout Christian (shhh - they are the people that hear voices and think it's a god - Lithium Carbonate is a good cure for this.)

Posted by Narcissist, Tuesday, 29 August 2006 1:44:23 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy