The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The History Wars: now for the hard part! > Comments

The History Wars: now for the hard part! : Comments

By Mervyn Bendle, published 23/8/2006

Australia desperately needs to promote a unifying sense of national identity.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
At the risk of you telling me to mind my own opinion, Leigh, the first two paragraphs of your post are appallingly ignorant of the basic facts of world and Australian history. Mass migration and inter-ethnic, inter-racial marriage have been a significant feature of world history for millenia. Consider the histories of Great Britain, South Africa, the Americas, various European countries, to name a few examples. Australian history has been dominated by mass migration from hundreds of countries and all major political parties have supported it especially in the post-1945 period. No reputable historian or major political figure in Australia today would argue that mass migration to Australia was, as you put it, "unnecessary".

Your denial of history - accompanied by your intemperate language to describe what you deny ("multicultural maniacs", "lunacy", "totally inappropriate incomers") - suggests to me that your experience of history at school was utterly defective.

Now why do I have the feeling I've just been wasting my time writing about facts?
Posted by FrankGol, Wednesday, 23 August 2006 12:04:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Just a quick note on Greg Melluishe

I was in 2 of his classes at UOW, pretty nice guy, but an utterly single minded right-wing zealot who is at loggerheads with basically the whole arts faculty at UOW.

Its like he was convinced that every University in Australia was packed full of Commies who were out to get him and Keith Windschuttle.

He is a Machiavellian who believed it was ok for the Govt.to lie about WMD to take us into Iraq.

After hearing he was involved in this history summit thing I lost interest altogether.
Posted by Carl, Wednesday, 23 August 2006 1:48:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well we all know where you coming from.
We all live happily ever together, after eating different national dishes at the local park for the Multi cultural festival.
Life outside the park is different.
Britain has had a longer tradition, than even Australia of Multi culturism,yet the traditional British sport of" Paki-bashing" is alive and well and in a suburb near you.
From Perth in WA to Bondi,Paki Bashing,or Wog Bashing is still practised every week end in a suburb near you.
To blame the History teachers is an insult to all teachers.
We have taught every child in Germany that six million jews died to the Nazis and indeed it is agaist the law to teach the history of the second world war.
So despite these strict laws anti-semitism is wide spead in Germany today.Zenophobia is I believe at the same levels in Germany today as it was under Uncle Adolf.
Zenophobia is now in Australia stronger than at any time in its history.
The more history that is taught the better informed our young people
will become and the more tolerant they might show others.
Australian School history is full of untruths,such as our nations identity was forged at Gallipoli,What rubbish.They were Britishers fighting a British war.It was a defeat,like the Vietnam war.
The use of spin by our politicians is now going to be used by History teachers.Jingoism is going to be put forward,instead of fact.
Australia,had the highest number of dissertions than any other allied Army on the Western Front,fact but you will not find it in Australian history books.As a percentage Australian soilders had the highest of cowardiest reports of any Allied army in the First and second world wars.

It is time for all Australian History teachers to read Professor Runcimans "History of the Crusades."Then we may find out what real history is all about warts and all.
Posted by BROCK, Wednesday, 23 August 2006 3:00:49 PM
I do object to this forum being used by participants for the pupose of propogating untrue and perhaps defamatory views. The post by Carl, whoever he may, and who may or may not have been in my classes, is not the sort of post that should be made. As I do not teach in the area of Australian foreign policy or international relations I have never made any comments to my students regarding WMD or Australian involvement in Iraq. His other views regarding Windschuttle and my relationship to the rest of the faculty can only have one source which is other staff members who, for whatever reason, have made comments to him. He should not be using this forum to enage in spreading scurrilous gossip.
Posted by GregM, Wednesday, 23 August 2006 3:25:08 PM
GregM,

I apoplogise and I take your point. I meant nothing personal, only that when I heard of your involvement in the history summit I lost interest.

To clarify, my comments about you being at loggerheads with your faculty was only an obvservation that I made based on your ideological views compared with theirs. I can assure you that no member of your faculty has ever expressed their feelings about you with me, it was merely an observation that myself and some other students made
Posted by Carl, Wednesday, 23 August 2006 3:42:50 PM
Why stop at high-school history?

There's a lot of thoughtcrimes being committed by adults too.

It's about time we finished this history war with a Final Solution. First, a committee for the investigation of UnAustralian activities. Those who are in violation will be sent to re-education camps at a disused immigration detention facility, and won't be re-admitted to Australian society until they have confirmed their love of football, meat pies, kangaroos and Holden cars and can bellow at the top of their lungs "this is the greatest country in the world, maaaate."

Only then will we be safe from terrorists.
Posted by Mercurius, Wednesday, 23 August 2006 5:29:27 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy