The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A plague of 'whitebreads' > Comments

A plague of 'whitebreads' : Comments

By Paul Williams, published 22/8/2006

Is the the political gene pool too shallow?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Let’s retain the system we have. Political candidates should be trained in devious and imaginative ways of conducting raids on the taxpayers’ purse, even if it involves theft. If caught the old trope ‘honest mistake’ can be used. Political candidates must exhibit a liking for the interior of Qantas aircraft. Candidates must also develop a liking for Vienna, Rome, New York, Paris, London and other boring destinations. The ability to distribute blame to office staff is also handy.

The chances of attracting intelligent people to govern us would be too much of a shock for the people. Why don’t I enter politics? If I brushed up against the current crop it would take me about 2 weeks to get rid of the stench
Posted by Sage, Tuesday, 22 August 2006 9:10:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
the only way i would enter politics is if i had a large business that would prosper by being thrown the short balls and goverment contracts.

otherwise, why would you cop the flack for crap money and be accountable to the entire population?
Posted by Realist, Tuesday, 22 August 2006 9:33:41 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sage: You cynic! Notice I'm not disagreeing with you though.

OP: Was Mark Latham really atypical though? Compared to smarmy little numbers I could trust about as far as I could spit a rat (eg. Kevin Rudd), yes. Compared to many of the feral top echelon of unions, no. Also, it's not like he was a stranger to (federal) politics. I don't know much about his working life, but he was involved in local politics prior to federal.

I think that without fundamentally changing the system, we will only get more of the same in politics. The whole thing is one big circus, and you have to be constantly aware of who is trying to knife you in the back (or who you want to knife). Of course, independents are on the outer with everybody, but to be anything other than an independent, just to get to pre-selection you have to be willing to get a lot of blood on your hands. Those who make it to parliament are the most piranha-like members of our society. Those who stay, doubly so (including the independents). Any normal, reasonable person can see this a mile off and runs in the opposite direction. So no, we'll never end up with decent politicians (from any party) because the term is an oxymoron.
Posted by shorbe, Tuesday, 22 August 2006 9:41:18 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The problem with politics is that nobody who is capable of getting a real job is interested in being a politician.
Posted by Leigh, Tuesday, 22 August 2006 10:07:02 AM
cAN'T ANYONE SAY SOMETHING THAT i CAN DISAGREE WITH, PLEASE!
Posted by SHONGA, Tuesday, 22 August 2006 11:53:25 AM
For Shonga's benefit :)

The increase in "professional" politicians can only be attributed to the growing demands placed on these hard working selfless, underpaid Australians. It takes a very dedicated individual to sacrifice family life, wages that could be rightly earned in the private sector and even in some cases their very sanity in these demanding jobs.

Working hours beginning well before sunrise, with sessions often finishing way after midnight take an increasing toll on these professionals. The number of politicians, both federal and state, that have developed medical conditions, such as depression, has increased drastically over the last couple of years.

Politicians should be seen as fine artisans. Their delicately sculptured policies being maticuluously fashioned over a number of years. As masters in their crafts, is it little wonder that the choice of an apprentice should also be an art, with the apprentice undergoing extensive training in the finest academies.

/end for Shonga
Posted by Narcissist, Tuesday, 22 August 2006 1:33:09 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy