The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Sauce for the goose: North Korea’s nuclear power play > Comments

Sauce for the goose: North Korea’s nuclear power play : Comments

By Syed Atiq ul Hassan, published 4/8/2006

North Korea is following a well-travelled path in its quest for nuclear weapons.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
An interesting paper Syed. You describe the proliferation of nuclear weapons technology extremely well. I don't hold much hope for nuclear disarmament.

I've also written extensively about such issues on my blog.

The Iran-North Korea connection is particularly topical:

Several months ago the possibility of Iran developing nuclear weapons and of US action (such as bombing) was front page news. Reliance was placed on multilateral pressure on Iran to limit its nuclear effort. Meanwhile (I believe) Israel perceives that Iran is developing its nuclear weapons capability too rapidly for multilateral pressure (largely ineffective on Iran anyway for the last 25 years) to have any effect.

Since the last Iranian nuclear scare Israel would have become acutely aware that North Korea (poorer and less industrially advanced than Iran) has successfully constructed some nuclear weapons (probably crude but very dangerous) and is developing the Taepodong 2 long range missile delivery system (tested recently). At least one Iranian observer was spotted at the test.

North Korea may have already sold some long range missiles to Iran and North Korean-Iranian missile cooperation has been extensive for many years. North Korea could also be assisting Iran in developing nuclear weapons. These countries need each other - Iran is very rich (from selling oil) while North Korea is extremely poor (from developing weapons).

Pete
http://spyingbadthings.blogspot.com
Posted by plantagenet, Friday, 4 August 2006 6:01:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy