The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Breathing new life into the republican debate > Comments

Breathing new life into the republican debate : Comments

By Peter van Vliet, published 2/8/2006

The republican debate is now over: all we need is for Australians to plot a successful path forward to an Australian republic.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
It seems to me that the desire to adopt a presidential system in Australia is necessarily related to a desire for a greater separation in relation to Canada, New Zealand and the United Kingdom.

Since I would prefer to be working towards closer ties with these countries, rather than cutting the ones we already have, I am happy with our shared monarchy. I think it is a useful link between our family of nations.

That does not mean that I think David Latimer and others are only concerned with getting personal advantage from constitutional change. I respect David's views and see merit in his proposal, but we have essentially different views of Australia and its place in the world.
Posted by Ian, Friday, 11 August 2006 4:58:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ian,

The fact that you think David Latimer and others are not ONLY concerned with getting personal advantage from constitutional change is irrelevent. ALL pecuniary interests and long term plans and affiliations associated with potential Republican aspirants' must be scrutinised by the Australian people. That is fair and just. You wouldn't let me walk into your house and take over the decision making unchecked and WE won't allow unknown mouthpieces to do that to Australia.

Additionally if by saying you respect David's opinions you mean you respect his propensity for pettifogging (a trait generally associated with ulterior motivation) I have some serious concerns about YOU.
Posted by KAEP, Friday, 11 August 2006 8:02:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks Ian.

Response to KAEP:
Under the Australian constitution, the decision making power concerning an Australian republic (or any other constitutional reform) is given to the people of Australia.

Working to advance an Australian republic is my constitutional and democratic right and is a form of voluntary public service (our monarchist opponents equally so). Those involved in the republican movement give up their time and money to make this contribution.

An example would be the time and money which was used to develop the Copernican Republic Forum website: http://www.7gs.com/copernican

This site carries no advertising and is able to collect comments on the various proposals developed by our group, without receiving one cent in return. The only benefit is developing a better proposal.

Our group published a journal which is available online, but the costs of printing and mailing were shared by members. http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~dlatimer/archive/Gazette-Issue1-Final.pdf

All republican groups, including the ARM, work on the same principle.

If the Copernican proposal is taken up, Australia will have an independent, apolitical, democratically elected Head of State. To be taken up, the people must approve it and they shall share in the pecuniary costs and benefits.

I suggest you read something of the personal history of Copernicus and whether it was he or us who benefited from his work.

For more information on the Copernican Group: http://www.copernican.info
Posted by David Latimer, Friday, 11 August 2006 12:42:43 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy