The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Innovative creativity > Comments

Innovative creativity : Comments

By Stuart Cunningham, published 26/7/2006

What is this so-called 'creative economy'?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
The structural source of all economic growth is energy - most notably liquid fuels. Every economic activity (creative or otherwise), gets "Life" from this fossilised sunlight. We are on the crest of Hubbert's curve, which suggests the constant "Growth" we have been led to expect and want will soon be a memory. Interesting times ahead. Creativity will be sorely needed, but the paradigm of constant "Growth" will go the way of the Dodo. We have "Plans," but the Planet has her own agenda - and she'll have the last word . . .
Posted by KimB, Wednesday, 26 July 2006 10:15:58 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good point KimB.

I too worry that we pay far too much attention to the pretty milk carton while forgetting about the moo-cows.

May I recommend the spray delivered by Dr Bakhtiari to the Senate committee on the future of oil. It has just been posted in Hansard (pdf 330 kb) here:

http://www.aph.gov.au/hansard/senate/commttee/S9515.pdf

Enjoy!
Posted by Chris Shaw, Carisbrook 3464, Wednesday, 26 July 2006 11:21:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Just read it Chris. This is something every man woman and child should be aware of, yet most of the population are too busy with their "growth = wealth" mentality and many are simply too busy amassing money with which to buy their "toys" to have time to read such relative and important Government papers. It is encouraging that I'm seeing more about peak oil in Government circles lately, but sadly, it may be too late for much of civilisation. I'll be keeping a close eye on the coming European winter though. It will be interesting to see if Dr. Bakhtiari's predictions relating to gas supplies comes true.
Posted by Wildcat, Wednesday, 26 July 2006 2:16:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dr Bakhtiari's analysis and projections are very alarming; but they are, as he points out, going to require more creativity in how we respond to the developing situation. This is something that I have been pushing for many years - the need for policies, both economic and in other fields, which increase our capacity to cope positively with changing circumstances, to profit from new opportunities and to minimise the losses from adverse changes. (I've been a voice in the wilderness in Queensland, my message was anathema to our head-in-the-sand "leaders".)

Broadly, policies which embrace openness, competition, change and innovation will promote growth. Policies which have the effect of restricting or slowing change by protecting or favouring particular industries or firms are likely over time to slow growth to the disadvantage of the community. In the Bhaktiari context, pro-growth policies - that is, policies which stimulate and reward creative, innovative responses - will be even more vital.

A creative economy is an increasingly knowledge-intensive one. The content of energy, steel and other materials as a percentage of the economy has declined as economies have become more knowledge-intensive, and will continue to do so. Think how much we reward musicians and film-makers - not a lot of oil or steel used in song-writing.

Let's not think "We'll all be rooned," but "Let's all get creative!"
Posted by Faustino, Wednesday, 26 July 2006 3:48:06 PM
Well, this article left me non-plussed to say the least.

“We need to think less about optimal allocation of scarce resources and market failure and more about the wellsprings of innovation, and the way in which the creative industries may function as a bellwether for structural change in modern economies.”

Excuse me, but we most definitely need to be thinking about scarce resources and their optimally efficient usage. And with peak oil looming, we need to be thinking very concertedly about failing markets, economies and social fabric.

In fact, these are surely the core things that must trigger an optimally efficient usage of our creativity!

Professor Stuart Cunningham seems to be talking about creativity and wellsprings of innovation without any real goal in mind….. while being dismissive of the obvious triggers, and the hence the obvious goals of overcoming them, or at least minimising the pain.
Posted by Ludwig, Wednesday, 26 July 2006 4:40:13 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy