The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Making sense of Somalia > Comments

Making sense of Somalia : Comments

By Bashir Goth, published 19/7/2006

What if your usual day starts with death and ends with death?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Imagine having 40000+ of them living in your once peaceful high functioning state.....

http://www.mnmed.org/Protected/00MNMED/0012/Ohmans.html

This article from Minnesota, titled, 'Embracing Diveristy' acutally puts a positive spin on Somali immigration. Despite talking about things like female genital mutilation.

Should be called 'Enforcing Diversity'.

Go here....

http://minneapolis.areaconnect.com/crime1.htm

and compare Minneapolis crime rates to other US cities.

Steadily climbing, wonder why. A part of Minneapolis is now called 'Little Mogadishu' how cute.

Used to be a nice place

I can see why Somalia is the way it is.
Posted by CARNIFEX, Wednesday, 19 July 2006 4:28:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bashir is correct in his approach, reminding us that we cannot judge the Somalis until we have walked in their shoes. If the Imans are truly working to help the people of Somalia they deserve our support even if the fascist arm of Islam is giving the peaceful arm a bad rep.
Posted by pattyjrsatanicfeminist, Thursday, 20 July 2006 8:08:51 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bashir, I don't have to "imagine" living like that. I recall it. Often. I see its effects in the two children whom I guided daily through the kind of life you describe. And, speaking as a parent whose every waking moment was filled with anxiety for my sons; who went to far too many funerals of friends both of my children and of myself; who saw far too many other parents comit suicide - often taking their entire family with them - because they could see no other way out, I think that whoever had come not just talking of peace but bringing it, we would have accepted gladly. It is all very well for people to take the moral highground when they are merely disinterested observors but I challenge such people to stand in judgement if their own children were staring down the barrell of an AK47.
Posted by Romany, Friday, 21 July 2006 7:23:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy