The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > MESH: the answer to Abbott’s paternalism > Comments

MESH: the answer to Abbott’s paternalism : Comments

By Gavin Mooney, published 29/6/2006

The key is to build Aboriginal community autonomy. Abbott’s paternalism will destroy that.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Self determination is feasible only if responsible governing is present. It is obvious that in the failed communities , responsibility has taken second place to power plays.
Abbott's use of the word 'Paternalism' may have been a poor choice but the failed communities need sensible governance until the generations can achieve ,through education,people who can control finance,crime,schooling ,social and medical matters. This could and should take years but it will get precisely no where unless some order is put in place now.
Posted by mickijo, Thursday, 29 June 2006 4:06:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Only a suggestion, mind yez, but looks like Tony Abbot's article opened a hornet's nest. And so it be, for it is something so much needed.

Keep it up, mates with plenty of different opinions, for it is out of the dialectical stewpot, that sound reasoning finally comes forth.
Posted by bushbred, Thursday, 29 June 2006 7:11:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Aboriginal Australians have faced all manner of disadvantage, prejudice and outright brutality almost consistently for 200 odd year. It will take many years and a number of generations for the wrongs to even begin to be righted in any meaningful way. We must start now.

Indigenous Australians have as much right to determine their own destiny as any of us. They also have as much right to the services, support and assets that allow people to make choices about their destiny as anyone. Government's have a responsibility to their citizens to provide the infrastructure that allows them to make choices about their lives - health care,education,job opportunities,transport,etc. The majority of Indigenous Australian's have had quite different experiences and influences to the majority of white Australians, so its no surprise that the forms or extent of support they need from their government will often differ.

I agree that our aim should be to improve the health, education etc of all Australians, not only indigenous people. But this is about equity, not equality. Giving everyone the same thing is only fair if everyone is starting from the same point. Clearly that is not the case.
Posted by katie180, Friday, 30 June 2006 2:24:23 PM
The call for paternalism is underpinned by the need for good governance; some communities govern well, others not so well. Thus any approach taken need to be balanced. At the same time the call for absolute local self determination should be balanced. Not because it can’t be done but simply because of the problems that regularly pop up in local governments of all stripes. Faceless bureaucrats are not the answer either, paternalism isn’t, and local government isn’t. Rather a combination of approaches with strong emphasis on local engagement and good governance.
Posted by Zephyrus, Friday, 30 June 2006 6:41:05 PM
Unfortunately, no white offers of help, other than the financial [70k/annum, mostly used to support habits] or land handouts will ever be accepted by the indigenous. Until the Indeginous decide for themselves and become accountable to the themselves and the government/law for their future decisions, their plight will further decline. I would propose that a very large body of indigenous, both lay people and elders be assembled and agree on terms for their people to live, be disaplined and educated that also protects those of us who have to live under Australian Laws. Then leave them to full fill their system. Because simply, we are damned if we help and damned if we don’t help. This way the Indigenous can’t blame colonialisation for their future and we are able to help if it is decided. I think equality is the beginning, I would love 70K just for being a 32nd part Indeginous. However if their system doesn’t work they would have agreed to specific legal actions that the government could take, this would avoid another stolen claim. Any way just a thought.
Posted by the reckoning, Saturday, 1 July 2006 10:41:27 AM
You are ALL wrong as best I can make out with a quick look at your posts.

Only I am right. And I don't have ALL the answer. But at least I can see the problem(s). And they go something like this:

. The Aborigines are a conquered people and no one will come to terms with that fact.

. The Aborigines have been separated off from the rest of us on the grounds that they are different - socially, culturally, etc.

. The Aborigines are expected to perform like us (socially, culturally, etc..) in this separate place.

. Their separate places are not constructed like ours - land ownership, land development, etc.. etc.. (including commercially viable reason for existing as a settlement)

. The Aborigines OF COURSE, STUPID! never ever had traditional 'leaders' in our sense - ministers, civil servants, politicians, governments, bureacracies, police forces, social workers, etc.., etc..

. The Aborigines are expected to perform in our way via their 'traditional leaders' (in our sense).

and so on.... I'm bored with it and there's a 350 word maximum.

The solution lies somewhere in

1. Accept the 'defeated people' thing - after all, all the rest of us are defeated people, aren't we? My family's land was taken centuries ago by - who? The Romans? The Danes?

2. Relate to them as individuals each with full citizenship rights. Not as weird 'other race' blackfellers approachable only through this screen of 'traditional leaders' (non-traditional opportunists, bullies, bigmouths, con artists, etc., etc...

3. Consign all remote communities to the rubbish bin, no more funding. Let 'traditional' aborigines live there, if you like, in a traditional way, no clothes (if they like), eating bush tucker. The question of their kids... I dunno.

Most of the problem would go away if it weren't fed continually.

Just get warmed up and I guess 350 words must be about here...
Yes, it was - I had to cut out about 60 or 70 words.. I'll try a second post..
Posted by bigmouth, Tuesday, 14 August 2007 9:39:03 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy