The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Power games > Comments

Power games : Comments

By John Langmore, published 14/6/2006

After 60 years the United Nations is in crisis as developed and developing countries jockey for power.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
It's time the UN was housed in some other country.

Bolton's NSA probably has the dunnys wired too. I wonder where Robert Hill goes for a private chat?

Also it's difficult to imagine having a conversation with Bolton that doesn't call for the application of a roll of strong duct tape. I can't see how any sensible reforms can be implemented now that the US is so clearly hell-bent on world domination for their economic masters.

Until that Gorgon is slain, it's all piddling in the wind....
Posted by Chris Shaw, Carisbrook 3464, Wednesday, 14 June 2006 10:45:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The big bad US making things tough for the UN again? The UN needs the US more than the US needs the UN.
Posted by Leigh, Wednesday, 14 June 2006 11:40:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We all need the U N more than we need the power politics, even world domination, of the USA.The Colonial era has reached its use by date as has realist foreign policy. I note in passing that a recent bagger of the UN now calls for its services in E Timor.
Posted by untutored mind, Wednesday, 14 June 2006 11:50:51 AM
That Bolton is an embarrassment to his country. He is the personification of everything that is bad about America with a total absence of the good American qualities. Politics aside, I hope that guy burns in hell.
Posted by Carl, Wednesday, 14 June 2006 2:07:56 PM
Ask any New Yorker, they would love to see the UN moved - probably to some place like Rowanda where only those really interested in a United Nations would bother to go.

Because the UN has been admitting every banana republic that applies and gives them all equal votes much of the important work of the UN is totally hamstrung due to all the various personal/cultural/national and racial interests that get attached to every motion brought to a vote.

I would like to see Bolton successful in his endeavors to improve the efficiency and efficacy of the UN. And so what if he is representing the US interests? The US pays a very large portion of the UN budget so it should have a say in the way it's money is spent.
Posted by Bruce, Wednesday, 14 June 2006 5:18:10 PM
The question is, do we really need the UN? What does it actually achieve? It makes a lot of rules without any practical means of enforcement. It offers condemnation to countries guilty of naughty behaviour. And, in an era when colonialism is apparently dead, it passes judgments and makes decisions based on western ideals.

I think we need a forum for decisions that affect the world as a whole, but the current UN doesn't seem to be doing its job too well. I don't have the answer, but I do think serious reforms are in order.
Posted by Otokonoko, Wednesday, 14 June 2006 11:12:00 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy