The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A tussle between idealism and pragmatism > Comments

A tussle between idealism and pragmatism : Comments

By Mirko Bagaric, published 14/6/2006

The commentators won't bluff us again - why they got it so wrong with the counter-terrorism laws.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
"...the best way to nullify loopy views is to dowse them with copious doses of reality."

That could be made into a banner. It could be our resolution for the remainder of the New American Century.

Then might we apply it to the War on Terror, the Petrodollar, 19 brown men with boxcutters, John Bolton, Richard Perle, the missing airliner at the Pentagon, the missing trillions from the US treasury, the collapse of World Trade Centre 7, the destruction of forensic evidence from ground zero, evidence of thermite charges both on video and in the pile, the timely insurance deals on an asbestos-laced dinosaur....

...phew! This resolution has universal application.

Anyone care to join me here?
Posted by Chris Shaw, Carisbrook 3464, Wednesday, 14 June 2006 10:20:06 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It was for the "Common Good" that the Nazi's killed 6 million Jews, and it was for the "Common Good" that Stalin murdered millions of his own citizens.

Mirko has again lost the plot.
Posted by Narcissist, Wednesday, 14 June 2006 10:56:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well put Mirko.

The first two comments in this string pretty well confirm your argument that idealists cannot get to grips with Australia's security needs or threats.

Their arguments are based on sloganeering about different places, different times and about authoritarian dictators (note that Stalin was highly popular with idealists in the 1930s and early 40s...).

Pete
http://spyingbadthings.blogspot.com
Posted by plantagenet, Wednesday, 14 June 2006 11:16:18 AM
I guess next the good Professor will be arguing to dispense with bail and sentencing laws. Now I am beginning to realise why legal practitioners have so little time for legal academics ...

Still, I guess we've been given a fair bit to think about. Anyway, I'd best pack my bags as ASIO could be around any minute ...
Posted by Irfan, Wednesday, 14 June 2006 11:54:19 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
>>Despite the claims that these measures “spell the end of our hard won civil liberties” and “corrupt democracy”, opinion polls consistently showed that the community supports the changes.<<

What the naive community is applauding is what they perceived as "good measure" from Government to stop terrorism and therefore a safer community.

What they still don't get is WHO we are dealing with - and not HOW to stop "it".

Even though the word "Islamist" was not mentioned - I presume it is implied by omission.

Islamists - the good sort that is - HAVE TO BE Jihadists or at least supporters of Jihad. The love of death and mutilation is part and parcel of their Qur'anic teaching. Allah (their god) commends Jihad and rewards it handsomely here and in the after life.

So unless the CAUSE of terrorism is addressed head on - openly and publicly, it is futile to police the acts and/or intentions of terror and ignore what causes that impulsive "divine"compulsion.

To continue to give legitimacy to a barbaric "sect" and try to legislate against its compulsive behaviour is a waste of time.

The clock is ticking - it is well past half-time. The game (war) will soon be over. And the winner is...
Posted by coach, Wednesday, 14 June 2006 12:06:04 PM
I'm with you on this one Mirko.
Posted by jeremy29, Wednesday, 14 June 2006 12:44:29 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy