The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Women suffering in silence > Comments

Women suffering in silence : Comments

By Kirsty Sword Gusmao, published 10/7/2006

All voices need to be heard in rebuilding East Timor.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Yes, women and children have once again borne the brunt of the unrest in Dili.They have my deepest sympathy and I personaly will do what I can with my limited means to alleviate their suffering.

The crisis may have been averted if it had not received tacit approval in the first instance by the President and his cohort,Jose Ramos Horta who seemed to support the resignation of The Prime Minister, Mari Alkatiri on spurious rumours whilst meeting with the Australian trained rebel Renardo, who by all accounts should have been arrested and tried for mutiny instead of enjoying VB with his friendly SAS buddies

It occurs to me that from the outset,the formation and training of the Police and Army was seriously flawed recruiting elements to the police force who had served under the Indonesians and what now appears to be a contrived rebellion of disenchanted army personnel claiming ethnic discrimination.

Current reporting by John Martinkus in todays SMH supports Mari Alkatiri's assertion that there has been three separate attempts to raise a military coup against him.
This writer is keen to know what external forces have had a hand in this crisis causing suffering and hardship on the women and children of East Timor.
I am also interested to know if the President and Jose Ramos Horta will once again call on the women and children of East Timor to forgive and forget the perpetrators of the violence, looting and burning that occured by loyal Xanana Gusmao supporters demanding the resignation of a non-violent Government.
Posted by maracas, Monday, 10 July 2006 11:47:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The violence, the suffering, the oppression of woman, it all flows forth from the machinations of the catholic church, and if you are too blind to see that it is not worth explaining. Kirsty Sword, is being a guerilla groupy proving more than you expected? It is simple; if you keep piling bullcrap upon bullcrap it will inevitably topple down. Now let's see how Whore-to-power gets on!
Posted by citizen, Monday, 10 July 2006 7:29:53 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Citizen

I'd be a bit more sympathetic. The East Timorese leadership (including Kirsty and her husband the President) have made SOME mistakess, but they are learning from them. East Timor is a new country which has been through a lot since 1974.

High unemployment appears to mean that the young men in that country go out and do what young men do - but on a "grander scale".

As Kirsty says its ultimately the woman and children who suffer the most because they cannot defend themselves.

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Tuesday, 11 July 2006 12:58:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I feel deeply for the people of East Timor, not only the women and children. But the people most responsible for their suffering are the Belo's and Gusmoa's and Horta's who began the conflict and maintained it for so long. Belo was always off to Macau or Portugal at the first sign of trouble and Horta stuffed himself with smoked salmon for the duration. Pity the suffering pawns of East Timor but don't fall for the 'warrior-poet, nobel laureate' baloney, the catholic church has plenty of blood on its hands, and its not christ's.
Posted by citizen, Tuesday, 11 July 2006 4:26:30 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Kirsty's old man stars in this:

http://www.nicholsoncartoons.com.au/flash/flash.php?id=25

Not quite what I've been arguing but its topical.

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Wednesday, 12 July 2006 10:21:01 PM
I have just read about Kirsty Sword Gusmao in a book on inclusive leadership by women. I spoke to the author who personally interviewed Kirsty and I believe she is doing a wonderful job of earning rights for oppressed women in East Timor. It's a shame Australia turned a blind eye to the plight of these people for so long, 24yrs wasn't it? If she can improve the lot of these women and children, go girl go.
Posted by franma, Monday, 19 March 2007 3:56:14 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy