The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The changing Australian political landscape > Comments

The changing Australian political landscape : Comments

By Peter McMahon, published 2/6/2006

Politics in Australia is as volatile as it has been for half a century.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
“Despite the portrayal of our two-party system as being reasonably well balanced and genuinely representative, this is no longer the case.”

This is certainly true although, perhaps, not for the reasons the author gives. And, obviously, in modern, “me, me me” society, the best economic managers and providers of goodies (already paid for by the electorate) has a greater chance of election.

The ALP has picked up on this, and Australia could exist comfortably under either of the two parties capable of forming a government without noticing very much difference in day-to-day life. How stale and boring!

What Australians need is a real choice. The ALP could give up the game, and the Coalition – no longer entitled to call itself conservative – could take its place, leaving room for a no-nonsense, honestly conservative party prepared to make the tough decisions.
Posted by Leigh, Friday, 2 June 2006 11:56:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sure is volatile - the latest

Snivelling Grug - Abbott

Health minister Abbott had his own words thrown back in his face when he was called a "Snivelling grub" by his Health opposition spokesperson, Ms Gillard.

Mr Abbott had used "Snivelling grub" to describe a Frontbencher during question and answer time in parliament, earlier in the week.

Mr Abbott was called to apologise for his slur. Mr Abbott then reacquainted himself with the microphone during a live telecast of the sitting, and said, "that if he had offended "Grubs" he apologised".

The Speaker of the House asked Ms Gillard to retract her comments about calling Tony Abbott a "Snivelling Grub".

She restated Tony Abbots exact reply with a request for an apology by saying, " if she had offended "Grubs" she apologised".

Ms Gillard was thrown out of parliament for 24 hours for defying the Chair.

Todays episode in parliament had Ms Gillard call him an Idiot.

Tony Abbott had accused the opposition of blocking the camera shot of John Howard while he was giving answers.

Ms Gillard was thrown out of parliament for a second day for calling Tony Abbott an "IDIOT".

Today Ms Gillard accused the speaker David Hawker of having double standards.

It seems that the opposition Labor party are getting more than a taste of what it is like to be the minority decision maker within our parliament with so many of Australian futures at stake with a Liberal government that is intent of forging ahead on matters of National interest without the consent of the trustees, being the Australian citizen.

We know another redhead that challenged these exact issues and was set upon by our political hoons. She pointed out the double standards too.

I wonder what Pauline Hanson would have thought about Ms Gillard descriptive words of a political identity that just keeps repeating itself, like indigestion.

"Quick-Eze"?"RU-486"?
Posted by Suebdootwo, Saturday, 3 June 2006 1:04:23 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes.. the political climate.

But the too and fro of the chamber is indeed what its all about.. the continual struggle for dominance, supremacy and to be king pin decision maker.

It could also be said that the current state of the nation is one of "White Supremacy"..... yep.. it sure could. More accuate though, would be 'Anglo/Celt/Scottish/Irish/Northern European' supremacy.

Does this equate with White or Anglo "superiority" ? hmmm ok.. yes in the sense of 'numbers', i.e. a quantitative measure, but definitely NOT in the qualitative dimension.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I would have to describe myself as a 'White Anglo Supremacist'...in the sense stated above. Numerically and culturally we rule. It's a plain fact of Australian life.

Does this mean that another ethno cultural group can never 'rule' in Australia in the same manner ? Only in so far as those of us of this background lack vigilance in the legislative, migration and cultural arena's to prevent it.

Does it actually matter ? Ok.. I guess I prefer to speak English, shake hands when I meet someone, (rather than say rub noses or bow)
I don't exactly mind the sight of Bikini's at the beach, I still support the 'underdog' if he is getting the stuffing beaten out of him by the 'big dog'... but like the Lebanese Muslim on the day of Cronulla who, in the face of a few thousand Anglo Aussies stepped out of his car and said "come on....I'll take yoo's on" errr he quickly got what he stupidly asked for. No sympathy there.

If I goto Malaysia, I am in fact a 'Malay supremacist' in the sense that I recognize that they have a cultural and numerical right to hold sway in things political. I certainly don't agree with the deliberate populating of the vast majority of public service jobs with ethnic Malays, but I do recognize that unless one group has effective dominance, society is like browns cows on steroids, and it will be much more of a free-4-all with the real possibility of ethnic stife occuring.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Sunday, 4 June 2006 9:30:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I do not think the ,"me!me!me!' society is any different to any other time. Or do we all have to be Martyrs?
I only know my own family circumstances, ordinary Australians all. Working ,playing, fighting for this country, bringing up a family often in difficult situations, saving, spending. Giving.
Typical ,boring Aussies,getting on with that which has to done. Not worth writing about because we all look out for us.And others when we can.
Posted by mickijo, Sunday, 4 June 2006 4:18:25 PM
Peter

A sound commentary - esp re the vacuum now existing on what used to be called the left (more properly these days, advocacy of social justice, small-L liberal social policies eg, civil liberties, and govt intervention against the excesses of the god Market).

The Greens really do need to capitalise on this, but as U say they have to sharpen up their fuzzy-edged policies, formulate them in concrete terms, and dump the New Age (newage - rhymes with sewage) aura that still surrounds them. That is, they need to get down into real politics (as distinct from realpolitik).

If Labor loses the next election (almost certain, unless the economy goes sour or there's some massive scandal or the tories commit hara-kiri) I wd not be surprised if it begins to fragment. This wd be the opportunity for a re-ordering of left-of-centre political forces in Australia. We certainly need it.
Posted by Mhoram, Sunday, 4 June 2006 10:13:43 PM
[Deleted for being completely irrelevant. Poster suspended.]
Posted by dobbadan, Monday, 5 June 2006 12:35:30 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy