The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > If you're white, you're right > Comments

If you're white, you're right : Comments

By Stephen Hagan, published 25/5/2006

Not a lot has changed over the last one hundred years: racism still persists in Australian society.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 24
  9. 25
  10. 26
  11. All
Stephen always seems to spin an interesting yarn. I would hope that Australia's attitude to indigenous Australians has changed since his bowling club incident.

The road between Canberra Airport and the City has a sign that says "Welcome to Ngunnawal Country", which is perhaps a token reminder to all of the original inhabitants of the region. Many federal politicians make reference to the Ngunnawal people in their Maiden Speeches paying homage to the traditional inhabitants, so perhaps the road sign does more than provide a token.

Of course, nobody takes seriously any notion that Canberra is actually owned by the Ngunnawal - Canberra is actually owned by the Australian People and there is no free-hold land, all land is leased. But from time to time there is conflict reported between the Ngunnawal Community reprentatives and the Aboriginal Tent Embassy at Old Parliament House. The Ngunnawal people believe those at the Tent Embassy to be unwelcome invaders of their lands. Food for thought.
Posted by Narcissist, Thursday, 25 May 2006 2:38:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Narcissist, is the tent embassy still active? I was in Canberra over Easter and it looked abandoned. Remnants of a couple of tents standing, plenty of dead trees, rubbish and fire places but nothing that looked as though it was still in use. Rather the look of something that had been moved on from only taking the good stuff and leaving the rubbish behind.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Thursday, 25 May 2006 2:45:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Robert,

I was there a few weeks ago and saw the caravan things. I beleive it is still there. Wasn't someone on a push-bike attacked because they got too close to the fire a short while back?
Posted by Narcissist, Thursday, 25 May 2006 3:00:06 PM
I am so sick of this racist crap. Wake up Australia. The white people have to sit back, not say a word in fear it may discriminate against some poor bugger. It is the 'White' people whom are discriminated against, Not the Brown or Black anymore. We just shut up and tollerate it. So stop whining
Posted by Jane Doe, Thursday, 25 May 2006 3:20:30 PM
Jane Doe tells us all she is " so sick of this racist crap....The white people have to sit back, not say a word in fear it may discriminate against some poor bugger."

Dear Jane, I will watch TV today and read the newspapers tomorrow with renewed interest...observing all the white people sitting back not saying a word. And I'll also have to have a closer look at Parliament. There's obviously been a black coup since I last looked and I missed it. So whites have been silenced. Has Andrew Bolt been informed?
Posted by FrankGol, Thursday, 25 May 2006 3:32:40 PM
I agree with Jane Doe. I have had enough too. Sick of hearing about more money needs to be pumped into housing. Why dont they stop smashing them and there will be more money to build instead of senseless maintenance. If I rented a house as a white person and smashed it and kept it rotten filthy I would be evicted. If they are not happy in their commmunities living on social security, either put something into their community or leave and find work elsewhere.
Posted by jackson, Thursday, 25 May 2006 3:33:19 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 24
  9. 25
  10. 26
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy