The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > No neat answers to be found in Israel > Comments

No neat answers to be found in Israel : Comments

By Bren Carlill, published 19/5/2006

All-expenses-paid tour to Israel was designed to 'confuse' the Australian clergy who participated.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
"If pro-Palestinian people aren't happy...and if they want Australians to remain ignorant of the conflict's complexity, let them organise and fund their own trips to the area" and, while they're finding out what's really going on there, let them, like young Australian, Philip Reiss, get shot in the head with a rubber-coated steel bullet by trigger happy Israeli troops, or bulldozed to death like young American, Rachel Corrie, or just plain shot dead like others (like Palestinians actually!). The problem for Australians who aren't wined and dined by AIJAC and the Israeli Foreign Ministry is that they not only might not return alive but that our press, flooded by AIJAC propaganda from the pens of Lapkin and Rubenstein, will show bugger all interest in their stories.
Posted by Strewth, Friday, 19 May 2006 10:41:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Because Palestinians are stateless? In part more because in the past the Great Power era supposedly past but annoyingly persistent Israel was proclaimed such suited the big powers who could assuage their feeling of guilt at Arab expense though proclaiming there was none for the land was inhabited not by settled communities but wandering Bedouins. History of possession at least partial anyway, though many centuries ago and religious sacred land were all used to support the case for a Jewish Home.
Legal or the rule of might?
Israel a narrow land is concerned at its vulnerability and has behaved accordingly seeing any claim as threatening. Faer is a useful tool of politicians.
Israel has not, itself and via the American veto not abided by UN resolutions. And has done nothing to implement past resolutions.
Palestine has indulged in rebellion and attack termed by Sharon and America as Terrorism. Israel has mounted attacks on individuals seen as central to such, not terrorism.
Israel has by purchase and alienation collected Arab land and made a new apartheid.
Meanwhile various groups put their point of view but the Glasgow University in a recently published book Bad News From Israel points out how unbalanced reportage is in the media of the West.
As usual,each side proclaims religious need yet each religion though denying the other expresses a need for kindness honest etc etc.
So is it an argument other than between the bigoted with powers playing their own interest? America in particular but the UK as well see Israel as, certainly in the past, an important capital piece in the game of power politics. All of course point to their own superior morality,need for security and decry the other.
How can sense be made of this outside a court of law yet each uses such legal claims for their own purpose? How can solution be found amongst these people of ‘good will’ who only want their own will? And of course the right to live said to be guaranteed by the charter of human rights.
Posted by untutored mind, Friday, 19 May 2006 10:48:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Strewth picked the same quote that irked me about this defensive piece, that pro-Palestinians should go organise their own trip rather than bleat about AIJAC's guided tour. Frankly if the author had answered some of Mr Mathewsons queries about who and where the participants went and saw, I'd be more impressed. Assuming all critics are pro-Palestinian suggests to me that the writer has been working too long in a restricted space.
Posted by jup, Friday, 19 May 2006 11:07:16 AM
Just for the record, the author was unaware of Mr Matheson's article when he wrote this one.
Susan Prior
Editor
Posted by SusanP, Friday, 19 May 2006 11:44:17 AM
Why is the human animal so emotionally responsive to the calls of the leaders who from their funk holes proclaim the justness, necessity, religious imperative and security need, to name just a few, but not forgetting the triggers of patriotism and nationalism?
The media or at least some of it has admitted culpability for the reporting of the Iraq idiocy and postulated, tongue in cheek, that accurate reporting might have prevented the leaders war endeavours, for that is what the war seems to have been. Israel/Palestine and great powers similarly.
Why do enough intelligent humans simply give this mendacity the bum’s rush it deserves?
Why do we read of investigation after investigation that pillories these leaders for lack of honesty, lies, over interest in the perceived national interest, read their own ego?
Until the democratic electorate and others learn to treat the utterances of the great for the bull they are and look to dispute resolution hopefully, against the wishes of the mighty pleading the nation will lose, pushing for international law.
I assume the voyeur interest boosted by the media is so strong that empathy comes only when we and ours are mangled or threatened. Reading Fisk reasserts the fact that much money is spent so we the public can have nice little pictures of death and destruction. Would these idiots film their own family in distress? Probably yes
Posted by untutored mind, Friday, 19 May 2006 2:10:04 PM
Anti-Israel worms? Too dumb and lazy? Critics of Israel all anti-Semitic believers in conspiracy theories?

Is this the stuff sensible public discourse is made of?

I'm an Australian who believes I should have the right to criticise any government on the planet. Just as Israelis criticise their government inside Israel, I should have that right outside Israel and inside Australia.

I also believe that countries refusing to recognise Israel should realise their non-recognition is futile. I've been published on this website and in a mainstream newspaper castigating the Iranian president on his verbal attacks on Israel.

But after reading this article, I am confirmed in my initial perception that some persons working in and/or with AIJAC are among worst exemplars of Zionism in the Western World.

My own faith-community gets plenty of bad press and is in desperate need of decent PR. But I hope it never follows what appears to be AIJAC's model of aggressive, winner-takes-all, head-kicking hysteria.
Posted by Irfan, Friday, 19 May 2006 8:27:23 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy