The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Politics and a greener future > Comments

Politics and a greener future : Comments

By Peter McMahon, published 4/5/2006

With the environment the big political issue this century, the Greens could be looking at a brighter future.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. All
So much of this debate is hinged on a rural/urban divide that is fanned by politicians seeking to justify their roles in representing their community. The rural sector will always be there, but not the old ways which I labelled the "bags/acre" or "mpg" mob.

The ongoing funding at times of duress during the inevitable flood/famine/drought only serves to slow the move to the farmers taking charge of their own affairs - in this case self insurance. The greens are seeing a problem and reacting. The greens have a point but dont offer solutions and at present only promote reactive discussion. There is a way ahead and rather than debating on fine points of detail, that the likes of Perseus has engaged, to get back to the big picture and above all, create the conditions for change. To help some move off the land and for others to move in to do it better. The Greens, like the spammers that make Microsoft produce more robust software, have a role to play.

It is for the likes of Perseus to respond with solutions to improve the system without looking for his "bimbocracies" to solve them.

Once we get that mind set, we can move on and get down to detail. Before that, all we are doing is tilting at self-created 'wind-mills'.
Posted by Remco, Sunday, 14 May 2006 2:09:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A little clearer re my linking the greens to the nuisance spammers. Without the spammers, as much as they are a nuisance, they promote Microsoft to produce a more robust product. Without spammers, one day a terrorist group might create havoc hacking computers around the globe. The spammers, like the Greens, are creating awareness and a basis for doing things better. That is not to justify that the Greens are without a vision but they serve a (painful purpose).
Posted by Remco, Monday, 15 May 2006 1:42:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Above is some utter crap witten by various individuals. Much of work by Greens is happening by country green people. The Greens are still against expensive desalination plans, against the Coal Power Station proposal in Bega, against the sale of Australia's masterpiece of engineering: the Snowy River Scheme to the multi-nationals. The water must be owned by Australians, not foreign companies. They encourage windmills, solar, tidal, and hot-rock energy.
They are not a single issue party. It is also a social justice party, a community development party, and was the only party that took the NSW Government to task of the curruption over the Cross City Tunnel. The Greens are the only party that have a vision for light rail in Sydney, more underground rail lines to ease congestion, and an intergrated ticketing system. They are the only party to draft legislation for a universal Anti Discrimination Act, and had the courage to make a stand.
Greens don't make the best politicians. That is why they would make the best leaders. I think that is why people believe them and their votes double every election. To represent people, they actually listen and proove to be accountable to the people's concerns.
They are the only party not financed by tobacco companies, or any private business at all, and believe in people rather that cheating with back door deals. This is the big difference between the Greens and the Democrats other than the Democrats being an offshoot of the Liberal Party. The Democrats under Meg Lee, disasterously decided to be a political force. This was their big mistake, as they forgot their own supporters and voters, and it fell apart. The Greens do everything within by consultation and consensus within the party, after listening to the grass roots.
It is also wrong to say that the land can always support agriculture. With such a dramatic rise in Greenhouse gasses, plants can't grow in floods, draught, cyclone, firestorms, cell storms and unpredictable extreme temperatures. Plants will not grow under these conditions, and it will be difficult for humans too.
Posted by saintfletcher, Tuesday, 16 May 2006 4:45:56 AM
Saintfletcher: What a fearful world you live in; pretty frightening with your promoted chaos and disasterously naive people.

You sound like a Mark Latham - learn to play team, rather than go out like a flaming meteor.
Posted by Remco, Tuesday, 16 May 2006 8:40:14 AM
Some of the ideas to alternative power including the use of "hot rocks" north of Port Augusta in South Australia, and other environmental answers to problems came from the Proffessor Sir Mark Oliphant, not Mark Latham.

Remco, I am just an ordinary guy and I am not in any political party capacity. I don't speak on behalf of any polical party, nor do my words in any way resemble those of Mark Latham. That is the silliest thing I have heard in my life. Otherwise I would have disclosed myself as representing a political party. I don't need to "play team", as I am not in a team to play in. I did not realise this was a childish game.

You seem to have fun playing games, I really hope you have a fun life. I do, and I enjoy life thank you. How could I go out like a Mark Latham flame, when I am not even in politics, nor am I a guiding light. Your use of parliamentry language is suspicious in motive, to say the least. Play that game, and I could just as easily call you the Neville Chamberlian, who appeased a dangerous giant staring at him in the face. Chamberlain had your arrogance and denial and went down in history as a most dispicable leader in British modern history. He refused to look at the impirical facts, or do anything about it. In short, like you, he was useless.

I don't live in a fearful world, Remco, I think the problems can be resolved. I live in a beautiful world and I am at peace. I am a common citizen simply looking for responsible answers. I personally believe that the Greens would be a responsible Government. Do not project your sinister paranoia, only to belittle the opinions of ordinary individuals. This commentry is not supposed to be a personal mud-slinging game, Remco. If you do your homework on global warming, then you might approach this more scientifically and less personally, and with less conspiracy theories.
Posted by saintfletcher, Tuesday, 16 May 2006 8:12:29 PM
Saintfletcher, I am pointing out that the Greens are highlighting problems; the farmers feel they are under attack from urbanites, while others point to the problems without resolutions.

We have an affluent country and that has enabled the ongoing subsidies for floods, famine, drought etc. to the rural sector instead of allowing those so affected to self-insure, get out, or adapt. Salination (land and water) has occured as responsibility has been avoided. The problems will simply persist as long as the mudslinging persists instead of taking charge of one's own affairs.

I refered to Mark Latham as he alienated himself from even the party he represented instead of steering, he jumped ship. As I said, the Greens serve a purpose like the spammers to promote change and they, like the spammers would disappear when responsibilities are assumed. They are not.
Posted by Remco, Tuesday, 16 May 2006 11:05:38 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy