The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Take a walk on the wild side > Comments

Take a walk on the wild side : Comments

By Jane Rankin-Reid, published 12/4/2006

The streetkids of Delhi railway station have an amazing fortitude and zest for life.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
I feel sure this is true though the extent of child deprivation is not really a subject the new right wants in the media. It limits advertising revenue at least that revenue that can be used to foster commercial enterprise and we are all shopkeepers now.
Ignores such they are always with us. Research directed to why? Can’t detract form the main game we will have a prayer and throw a coin a small one like Australia’s foreign aid programme or America’s come to that.
Birth control, an economy directed towards helping humans? Do not be silly it’s the mental ward for you, at least in Russia, jail perhaps in other countries. Birth control by law not only offends some religions it infringes liberty. Better to use the fodder in wars,a desire of god we are told, though granted the excess or left overs are indeed troubling. Some travellers have denied the reality others say it is god’s will. Meanwhile if I don’t go and buy something instead of wasting time I will be acting contrary to the demands of society. No money? Put it on the card!
Posted by untutored mind, Wednesday, 12 April 2006 11:15:06 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jane, when I first went to Istanbul 40 years ago, it was very much impoverished Asia rather than wealthy Europe. But the kids had a spark and zest for life which stood out by comparison with many of those further west. I met a lot of kids in those much-maligned Third World sweat shops who had great vitality and enjoyment.

Although I'd been to the Middle East and North Africa, I found India overwhelming when I arrived there in 1972, it's great to read your tale of how dispossessed kids are making something of their lives.

I was in Bihar in 1973. It's a place of extremes - from very cold in winter to 50C in summer; great riches and desperate poverty; epidemics, floods and drought in the 12 months before I arrived; bandits holding up trains, rebels blowing up the railway minister; terrible prejudice against and extortion of the poorest classes.

Yet I felt that the people were happier than those in Europe. So much unhappiness in the west is of a mental nature, arising from thinking, conceptualising, comparing; the people of Bihar just seemed to get on with it, "life is desperately hard, well, that's the way it is, smile, help your neighbour ..." Inspiratonal.

I found Indians in general very aware of where one was coming from. If you had money, they would know, and seek to extract it from you; if you had none, they would go out of their way to help you - some very poor people gave me great help after I'd been robbed of all my cash and passport in Varanasi.
Posted by Faustino, Friday, 14 April 2006 9:26:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
How would Australia cope with such a situation in the event of massive fuel shortage?
Posted by Vioetbou, Monday, 17 April 2006 12:09:35 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy