The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Tattoo you? > Comments

Tattoo you? : Comments

By Rose Cooper, published 12/4/2006

The renaissance of ancient tribal art has its roots in our yearning to be unique and special in an homogenised global village.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
I have always wondered if the people with those "nifty oriental characters" really knew what they meant or more likely what the tatoo parlor operator told them.

I have long suspected that there are some number of people walking around with oriental characters meaning "open other end"
Posted by Bruce, Wednesday, 12 April 2006 5:26:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The trouble with expressing your individuality through tattooing is that it quickly catches on. Then, your indelible expression of self is just one of many and, rather than looking like an individual, you look like a follower trying to be like everyone else.
Posted by Otokonoko, Thursday, 13 April 2006 12:09:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Enjoyment of tattoos is a subjective thing. I like some tattoos and not others. At times I have faintly entertained the notion of getting one myself but have always rejected it. Why? One reason is that tattoos are still in the realm of counterculture. The ‘uptake’ is more prevalent and prior class and sex stereotypes are blurring however, they are still okay in some circles and not others.

But that is not my main reason. Roses, butterflies and dolphins are definitely parssé. Symbolic patterns and characters, Celtic, Asian etc are more pleasing to my eye—maybe I find ambiguous meaning less confronting. If I had a tattoo done now that is the way I would go but what about 10 years hence, would I still like it?

My 20 year old son wants a tattoo. He made a booking 5 months ago (the 4 month waiting list indicates its current popularity). At that time he was absolutely certain he wanted Leonardo de Vinci’s Vitruvian man tattooed at the base of his neck. However, as his appointed time grew near he announced that he had changed his mind—an oak tree with roots growing out of the base of his heel, trunk and branches spreading over his calf were now what captured his imagination.

Aarrrgh! That this is a tattoo that I do not want on my son is clearly about me. However, my distaste is embedded in a desire to protect him from regret: changing fashion, whims and negative points of view. Even if, down the track, he’d rather forget that it’s there, as Rose unintentionally forewarns, others will constantly remind him of its existence.

I lobbied for a stay of execution and got it. The tattooist, to her credit, drew his ‘tattoo’ in indelible ink, so that he could try it on for size. I am hoping that in the six months he has to wait before his next appointment, that wonderful characteristic of human subjectivity will kick in and he will, once again, change his mind.
Posted by Amanda Hall, Thursday, 13 April 2006 11:33:20 AM
Tattoos to me are an individual thing. If you want to go with the crowd fine and dandy. There are so many sheep out there in the world and the world does need their sheep.

One day I will pluck up the courage to go and get my very own tattoo. I have the piercings now and that was a quick and painless experience. But to actually go out and have a tattoo will take a bit more courage. Being 44 going on 45 I would like to have my own tattoo and I need to decide what I would like to have so that in (hopefully) 10-16 years I can say to my grandchildren that I have picked that type of tattoo over all the others - yes because it will be readily seen like Rose's not hidden under clothes - because it is something that makes me feel good in myself and I am proud to have it seen.

It is sad these days that what was once an individual stance in now a trend for all to follow.
Posted by Lyneeee, Friday, 14 April 2006 8:12:41 PM
It is sad and it is a funny thing that every one is trying to be different and so all become alike. That is a sad thing. But I think this can be put in perspective when you realise the things that make you different are the things on the inside, not the visible, superficial things. They are not the essence, or the whole of you, they are a just a reflection. I have a tattoo (betty boop)and a tongue piercing and I find it no more bizarre to have a piece of metal in my mouth (which does not hurt me or damage my teeth) than I would to have silicone injected into my breasts. In fact I am much more accepting of body adornment than body modification such as cosmetic surgery. Maybe paradoxical, but my body is okay. I am not trying to change the way my body and face are, I am just decorating them.
Posted by Pepstar, Tuesday, 2 May 2006 3:39:56 PM
I don't have any tattoos or piercings and proud. That's not to say that I am against anyone having these. Whatever you want to do to your bodies is up to you. My point is, I look around me and a lot of people around my age and younger (and much older sometimes) have tattos and/or multi piercings. Its not just bikers, ragged old seamen, or S&M 'ers now. Something tells me that the unmarked un peirced folk are the non confromists now a days. Hee HEE!

SM
Posted by silent minority, Sunday, 7 May 2006 12:16:37 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy