The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Body modification as self-mutilation by proxy > Comments

Body modification as self-mutilation by proxy : Comments

By Sheila Jeffreys, published 10/4/2006

Cosmetic surgeons, piercers, cutters and sadists are all parasites profiteering from those with low self esteem.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Call me old-fashioned, but I can't understand why anyone would engage in the practices outlined in this article. They all in some way reflect a failure of self-acceptance, and none of them will in any substantial way address that lack of self-acceptance. I have for almost all of my life had problems with self-acceptance and at times near-suicidal levels of self-esteem; but I know that the answer lies within, in changing my mental conditioning. Any so-called medical practitioner who engages in futile attempts to address self-esteem issues by surgery rather than seeking to address the mental issues involved is failing their patient, exacerbating their lack of understanding rather than helping them resolve the underlying problem.
Posted by Faustino, Monday, 10 April 2006 1:02:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This is ridiculous. Hasn't body modification has been a standard human practise since, oh, the beginning of humanity? Are the egyptians wearing earrings in ancient hieroglyphs the product of a body-hating consumer culture? Are PNG highland tribesman putting bones through their noses to overcome abusive childhoods? There are deep cultural factors at work here that the author completely ignores.
Posted by KRS 1, Monday, 10 April 2006 1:28:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Me too, yet another flaw in my social conditioning! (Sigh.)
Posted by Faustino, Monday, 10 April 2006 7:05:10 PM
Perhaps this is the last great fight against homogenisation - differentiation by mutilation of an otherwise increasingly homogenous society?

A struggle for identify where otherwise we meld into the crowd and differentiated only by a number. Perhaps we have to learn that we are in the end the same - that's it's OK to be so, and to celebrate our beauty and our well being.
Posted by Remco, Monday, 10 April 2006 10:11:49 PM
I wanted to point out that no one should think that Professor Jeffreys speaks for all feminists.

I strongly disagree with her view, as I've argued at Larvatus Prodeo:

http://larvatusprodeo.net/2006/04/10/feminists-disagree/
Posted by Kimberella, Tuesday, 11 April 2006 12:02:37 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think Prof Jefferey's has an image problem and is faced with the reality of her own stupidity. Just typical of the brain dead, trying to justify their inability to force their bizarre concepts on others.

It appears that she hasn't worked out yet that the human race are just a bunch of enslaved clones, running round trying to make out they are individuals by emulating what others do. Being an individual is within us, its just pure ignorant stupidity to believe that changing how your body looks, will satisfy your inner being. I believe it has the opposite effect.

The men bashers like this professor of political science, (speaks for its self) certainly have nothing to add to society other than confusion and dismemberment. Women dress to please other women and their ego's, men who spend lots of time trying to change their bodies are just the same, gutless and deserving no sympathy for the situation they have created for themselves.

Just seems the prof, is extremely bitter at not being able to have a relevant life and regrets the fact that she lacks understanding and the ability to engage rationally with the community. Anyone that has a degree in politics, actually has a degree in irrational stupidity. As can be seen by her article and the political situation. I don't think Jeffery's a true lesbian, just an inadequate human, not a nice Sheila at all.
Posted by The alchemist, Tuesday, 11 April 2006 7:28:08 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy