The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Missed chance to right wrongs > Comments

Missed chance to right wrongs : Comments

By Ted Lapkin, published 30/3/2006

Behind the facade of reform, the UN gives a free kick to despots.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Well said, Ted. More power to your pen!
Posted by Leigh, Thursday, 30 March 2006 10:20:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Morning, Ted, As the associate editor of the Australia/Israel & Jewish Affairs Council's 'The Review' you might be interested in a 2002 study by San Francisco University political science professor Steven Zunes which reveals that "Israel holds the record for ignoring United Nations Security council resolutions."

He showed that since 1968 Israel has violated 32 resolutions that included condemnation or criticism of the governments' policies and actions. Turkey was in second place, followed by Morocco. Zunes also left out resolutions that could be construed as vague (UNSC Res 242 & 338) or were only condemnations. He focused only on those that included specific calls for changes in the subject governments' policies. Hence, in relation to Israel, its illegal annexation of East Jerusalem, its construction of illegal settlements in the occupied Palestinian territories and its use of harsh measures against the Palestinian population.

And we've still got all those UNSC resolutions violated since 2002. Not to mention UN General Assembly resolutions. Is the pot not calling the kettle black here, Ted?
Posted by Strewth, Thursday, 30 March 2006 10:37:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well Strewth, I'd have thought that the only thing all those resolutions demonstrated, as well as the general behaviour of the UN over the past 40 years, has been that it is a model that is totally flawed and unworkable. It sounds lovely - the people of the world getting together to thrash out the problems of the world. Unfortunately, membership is open to everyone, regardless of their behaviour. Countries vote in blocs regardless of the "truth" of the issue. And a range of other criticisms that could be made, based on the very old-fashioned view that there are acceptable and unacceptable societies and countries in this world.

I would change my vote at a moment's notice to support any Australian political party that decides to withdraw from the UN and help set up a United Democracies Organisation. Why should I pretend that Zimbabwe ought to have the same voting right and moral right to talk about solving the world's problems as, say, New Zealand. Of course it's not straightforward but we could come to an agreement on what constitutes a democracy. Things like being free to debate issues, change governments, protest and generally come to opinions informed by a free media. Things like equality of all citizens and equality of treatment under a secular law.

So, I disagree about Israel. It at least tries to be those things. Just like Lebanon, Iraq and Palestine are trying. Unlike Syria, Jordan, Egypt and Zimbabwe etc etc etc.

Regards

Kevin
Posted by Kevin, Thursday, 30 March 2006 11:24:15 AM
Kevin I guess you wouldn't be silly enough to believe the US or the UK or France would wish to join your "United Democracies Organisation". That is unless they had the same veto power they got with the current UN.
Posted by Kenny, Thursday, 30 March 2006 12:51:38 PM
The U.N has always been a joke. It needs to be built up of only western governments, those that have proven that they abide by human rights. Why should China, or Iran, have a seat on the U.N?

The U.N failed in Rwanda, in Timor (what do leftists think of that? I mean they were ok to go in there to help them, but not the Iraqi's? What, do they hate Arabs?)

The western world are the only cultures with any morals, the rest, with their caste systems, misogyny, tribalistic rubbish don't deserve to exist.

There should be a crusade to turn them into westerners. Then they will see the logic of human rights. They all want to be westerners anyway, they all flock here right?

This is a mandate for full occupation, colonialism, call it what you want. The middle-east has been so brainwashed they think we are the enemy when in reality it's their wicked leaders, who blame their hopelessness on the west.

Palestine wouldn't even exist if not for our aid, yet they don't even know it. They think Saudi Arabia gives them money! What a laugh.

Do you people know how Palestinians are treated in Muslim nations? They live in squalid camps, can't leave, can't work, they only learn to read & write because the west pays for it.

Yet the Muslims are united on Palestinian issue? What a joke.
Posted by Benjamin, Thursday, 30 March 2006 2:21:59 PM
Is anyone surprised by this? Look at the pattern of any authority historically. What better place for evil to hide than in the guise of Authority. Christianity gave us the Salem Witch trials, a clear demonstration of abuse of women who were different. The Catholic Church gave us the Inquisition, another example of the suppression and abuse of people who were different. Why should the U.N. be any different in that it hides abuse in the guise of human rights. A centralization of power is always suspect. If we haven't learned that by now, then what hope is there for humanity.

Decentralise power, that's the only path to true Democracy. Bureaucracy, national, or international, will only serve itself, not the people who need justice. At the risk of being labeled an anarchist, when will the revolution begin? I'm ready are you?

"Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it" These word are just as true today as when they were first penned.

The definition of insanity - Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

I hate to resort to cliches, but sometimes cliches fit. Viva the revolution!
Posted by Patty Jr. Satanic Feminist, Thursday, 30 March 2006 3:52:30 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy