The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Tolerance > Comments

Tolerance : Comments

By Gary Brown, published 10/3/2006

The key is tolerance: let them go to hell, if that’s their destiny in your view, in their own way.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 14
  7. 15
  8. 16
  9. Page 17
  10. All
It is not often that I disagree with Gary Brown particularly when he writes on Defence matters but I think that here he may be missing the point in that Muslims were not so much offended by Mohammed being portrayed in an unfavourable light but that he was being portrayed at all. Islam prohibits his portrayal for the same reason that there is no portrayal of persons or animals in mosques. It is to prevent idolatory as some would say has occurred with christianity particularly Catholicism with the Virgin Mary virtually becoming an earth Mother Goddess and a depiction of someone being tortured to death becoming a religious symbol. I think Gary should concentrate on what he does best, Defence particularly procurement and write for the mainstream media where he would exert greater influence which is surely needed
Posted by Abu Famir, Saturday, 25 March 2006 10:05:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Abu Famir, it might be an artifact of selective reporting but most of the complaint I have seen has been in regard to the insult rather than the fact of an image with the latter only being treated as a side image. It's also been pointed out elsewhere that some muslims use made up images of Mohammed in their own publications. As with the christain church no one really knows what the key figures actually looked like so any images are kind of a moot point.

If what you say is the truth it really makes the reaction to the cartoons much worse because it moves from being an over-reaction to what appears to be a deliberate provocation to an attempt to impose muslim rules on non muslims - quite a different beast. I don't like either but the former is much less of a threat to my freedoms than the latter.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Saturday, 25 March 2006 3:39:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 14
  7. 15
  8. 16
  9. Page 17
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy