The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > John Howard’s decade of uncool > Comments

John Howard’s decade of uncool : Comments

By Kim Huynh, published 1/3/2006

John Howard is a man who is genuinely uncool and never feigns otherwise.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All
Initially I liked the Howard's conservative approach 10 years ago (I must admit), but it is starting to wear a bit thin for me now. Are we really still in the best country in the world?

I would hate to see single mothers struggle to juggle work outside the home as well as parenting alone, unless of course they have a very good support system. If my wife was suddenly left husbandless (God forbid), I know our 3 children would suffer terribly with the pressure on her to look for work, find it and sustain it. I thought people paid taxes in this country for many reasons, being - education, health, welfare, commonwealth games etc. etc.

The future of our next generation will be at risk, as women should in my opinion have a choice, and not be forced to work outside the home if their children need them at home, remember women could not carry a sick 7 year on their back while they are at work. And nor should they feel forced to stay in a relationship out of fear that they will be destitute if they leave their partner.

The Howard Government should be thanking these women for looking after the future generation, even if they have to dish out on the Single Parenting Payment, it would cost the Government a lot more to do the same job. Put the family first Johnny, single and coupled parents are already doing a lot, they are help to keep the funding on education down to an all time low, some parents putting many hours in voluntarily at school.

Keep up the good work Julia, let's hope you get an opportunity one day to run for the top job.
Posted by joseph, Wednesday, 8 March 2006 2:16:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There was a time when J-Howard was the Treasurer -and not a very good one i say no one wanted J-H-or liked him .he was and still he is very BORING endeed -but he got voted in as P-M-he has Caused so much Damage to Australia and the Australian People -it wil take a Generation and More to Undo the Damage i am very worried thinking what kind of-Legacy our Children will be left-?
Posted by ozevic, Wednesday, 8 March 2006 9:44:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
John Howard knows full well that this sort of persection is happening in China Yet he still wants to trade uranium with the Chinese Regime and still wants to do trade with murders. So what does thay say about John Howard and what future does that give Australia? PLease write to John Howard and Mr Downer and tell you know whats going on and that Australians are not stupid.

The Secret Sujiatun Concentration Camp

A former CCP informant has revealed that in Shenyang City, Liaoning Province, there is another facility especially used to torture Falun Dafa practitioners in the Sujiatun District.

This source said There are more than six thousand Falun Dafa practitioners detained here. If Falun Dafa practitioners are sent to Sujiatun, they will never come out. What is the CCP doing to them inside those walls?
The CCP can't let a prisoner consume food forever. Then what are they doing? I am sorry that I have to use such a direct way to speak such a fact, but the Falun Dafa practitioners will be killed for their organs, which will be sent to all medical facilities. Currently, organ selling is a very profitable business in China. No one investigates it. Even doctors are involved in this trade. They cannot find enough bodies through executions, and no one is more readily available than practitioners to do this business.

This source further exposed - I was told the people who built Sujiatun Camp were long term prisoners who did not know what were they building, and for what purpose. Why was a crematorium built and why are so many doctors housed there? The CCP is not kind enough to treat prisoners so well. Why is there a crematorium inside the Sujiatun Secret Camp? Why do they need to burn bodies? Why do they need so many doctors?

The informant said, It is very hard to obtain information in China, because people live in fear. We have many information sources that we are paying regularly.

This insider said,I feel a responsibility to reveal the Secret Sujiatun Facility to the public.
Posted by Jana Banana, Thursday, 9 March 2006 6:42:32 PM
Kalweb: whilst saying nothing of substance, you have impressively managed both gross intellectual snobbery AND hopeless myopia in (not) appreciating the deeper meaning of Dr. Huynh's article. What, I ask you, is wrong with shifting discourse away from the ivory tower? How is discussing 'cool' an affront to language or academia? Your suggestion that one can only make a valid point by presenting an officially sanctioned "conceptual framework" is an insult to anyone who a) does not have that training, and b) is (god forbid) cleverer than you, in being able to appreciate allegory and metaphor as vehicles for legitimate points. Reread your own blustering - (gramatically and academicly poor, if you MUST bake a point of it) - post, and consider that you would do well to seek alternatives to orthodox intellectual argument. Are you suggesting that certain artists, song-writers, poets, novelists and ordinary men & women do not have valuable and legitimate political views? I imagine you are, which is a sad indictment of your exclusive views.

Dr. Huynh is not pandering to an uneducated audience, as you imply. (nor does he speak in similar terms to his students). He is making an allegorical point. For you to suggest that it is wrong to 'attack a man' in a political argument proves that you have absolutely no appreciation for what it is that is so alarming about Howard's decade of uncool: Never before has a Prime-Minister brought so much of his personal values, beliefs and ambition to the office. Never has it been so appropriate to attack politics via the individual.

The personal IS political. You who attack Dr. Huynh for writing a personal response to a political phenomena ignore that, and worse, you ignore that people who are intelligent enough to think critically about such things do not need to feign authority the way that others do in order to disguise the huge gaps in their understanding.

So relax - things will make more sense. Try to see writing such as Dr. Huynhh's for what it is, not what you feel it should be.
Posted by Cosm, Wednesday, 30 May 2007 1:32:26 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy