The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Cartoons used as an abuse of power not humour > Comments

Cartoons used as an abuse of power not humour : Comments

By Salam Zreika, published 7/2/2006

Salam Zreika argues that publishing offensive material under the guise of freedom of speech is depicable and rude to Muslims.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 22
  9. 23
  10. 24
  11. All
Salam,

>>The media and editors in particular have a far greater responsibility towards this global community than they think. That is to first and foremost educate, inform and advise society about the facts - not the fiction.<<

Exactly right you are - Cartoons have historically been used in the media for exactly that purpose. A picture is always better than a thousand words.

But that is not the issue here. As someone eluded before me; your Islamic papers are full of revolting cartoons and articles. We don’t see people rioting over it.

SO WHY IS ISLAM AND ARE MUSLIMS SO TOUCHY ABOUT THEIR RELIGION?

Answer; they believe that it is the supreme religion from Allah (a fictitious god), the last revelation from Allah dictated to mohammad (their self-proclaimed prophet), to abolish all other religions on earth and establish the “Ummah” or islamic state under their “Sharia law”. These are the dictates of the Qur’an (their holy book).

So anything that stands in the way of this progress is to be destroyed.

WHEN IS THE WEST GOING TO PUT A STOP TO THIS MAYHEM?

We don’t need a Salam or Irfan telling us what we should or shouldn’t do.

Many died through the centuries for this FREEDOM of expression.

To revoke it is to p**s on their graves
Posted by coach, Tuesday, 7 February 2006 10:56:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"What came as a real shock to me was one news poll in Australia had a far greater number of people wanting to view these cartoons in our Aussie papers compared to those who did not."

Maybe now you're starting to get it. Most Australians would not be shocked by that result. Your religion and sensitivities take a back seat to our core values. If you choose to make Australia your home the onus is on you to respect our values and beliefs, including freedom of expression. If you are not comfortable living here when the majority feel that publication of caricatures of a bearded guy should be lawful, even when those caricatures might offend certain people, then you really need to reconsider whether this is the right place for you to live.
Posted by HarryC, Tuesday, 7 February 2006 11:04:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
as a christian who lives in Indonesia, i can testify about their tendency to behave violently is nothing like was pictured in the australian media. They are peaceful and kind folks who are ashamed of the terrorism done by their violent kind.

In all fairness, i believe the problem lie more in low education and relatively poor social economic status of most terrorists ( and muslim people in general )
Poverty and lack of education is a surefire way to lead people to depression and hopelessness.

Sadly, it is a fact that most muslim majority country is poor third world countries.

A religion, provides hope and dignity to these disadvantaged people. however, these people don't have the intellectual capacity to discern and argue about some twisted facts that is preached by the extreme elements within the religion.

Before anyone condemn islam further, try helping your disadvantaged muslim neighbours, and see if my argument hold any weight.
Posted by seiko-jin, Tuesday, 7 February 2006 11:07:20 AM
Salam,

Good article although I think we are up to another storm in a teacup on this one.

Freedom of speech is not in question here, I was equally annoyed by Jesus painted in urin.

What I don not understand is the reaction in the European newspaper to the Boycott!

If freedom of speech is used to mock other faith and thats legal that Okay, but why do they still expect Muslims to trade with their dollar? also, why do they expect all Muslims to react in the same manner?

If you lived in the US and used the F word in Texas, Oregon, San Francisco and Harlem. Wouldn' you get 4 different reactions (obviousley the gun in Harlem).

Free speech is free speech, but people react to their own accords, its naive to insult someone and then wonder why won't they buy from you. Danish exporters lost 1.2 Billion dollars overnight from Saudi consumers alone.
Posted by Fellow_Human, Tuesday, 7 February 2006 11:11:26 AM
Salam, I think that you have missed the mark on this one. Ridicule of extremist behaviour is one of the tools which plays a key role in western societies in keeping extremists moderated. The cartoon's are a response to some horrific actions and viewpoints espoused by a minority of muslims. They are reportedly a test of the ongoing ability of western media to publish such material. The response to the publication is likely to convince many that a line needs to be drawn in the sand.

Likewise as other commentators have pointed out a willingness to insult those who see things differently to yourself is not unique to non-muslim commentators. A read of an article seemingly by Keysar Trad (http://www.islam.org.au/articles/16/RACISM.HTM the link is not working today) contained comments which appeares to describe white Australians as "the descendants of the scum of white civilisation" and other quite insulting and rude comments about our society. I don't like what Keysar said in the article, it is inflamitory, racist, elitist and shows a remarkable dislike for this country but it is part of the cost of free speech which I would happily bear than live with that freedom selectively curtailed.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Tuesday, 7 February 2006 11:16:41 AM
The writer says the real issue is not that muslims have no sense of humour but that the cartoonist and media deliberately published cartoons that would offend muslims and incite others to religious and ethnic hatred, using freedom of speech as their cover. This is a serious charge and one I would dispute.

Salam applauds those who condemn the publication,and presumably those who will not publish the cartoons while implying those in Australia who wish to view the cartoons are insensitive to muslim issues. Salam may well have missed the point of the news poll she mentions. Ironically, she says it is the duty of the media to educate and inform - and until recently no one had heard of these cartoons. Extremists have made these cartoons an issue. Without viewing these cartoons, noone can form an educated opinion. Are we supposed to accept on face value the comments of others like Salam?
I have seen the cartoons - and presumably so has Salam. They are not particularly humourous. As for being offended, Salam ... many christians are offended when someone uses 'Jesus Christ' as an expletive, and he is mocked in caricatures, but it does not justify burning down a building or threatening to murder.
Of far more concern is the action of these extremists and you devote thirteen words to condemning these people.
Not only did Hitler engage in propaganda , but he also eliminated freedom of the press : we still have a free press and that is why
we can so freely express our views..........and in doing so find someone to offend.
Posted by Cynthia2, Tuesday, 7 February 2006 11:35:40 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 22
  9. 23
  10. 24
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy