The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The refugee problem - time for a “new order” > Comments

The refugee problem - time for a “new order” : Comments

By Guy Goodwin-Gill, published 3/3/2006

The refugee problem tests our commitment and the principle that everyone has an equal right to dignity and worth.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Just look at the number of left wing articles on this site,and it eminates predominately left wing Education system that likes to live in it's comfort zone.Perhaps the right wing doers are too busy making the economy work and don't have time to contemplate their navels because their taxes have to support this nonsense.

I was listening to Philip Clark on 2GB the other day who was interviewing a representitive from the Sudanese Community because they were becoming a problem in Blacktown in terms of theft and violence.This rep said that the Govt needs to do more for the community.They can't speak English,don't know how to use a telephone and thus can't get jobs because they have no skills.Well Philip Clark said we need fruit pickers in the country,why don't they go there.The Rep said"Well many of these people are warriors and don't fit that job discription." Implying that it would be beneath their dignity to accept such a lowly job.He also implied that the Sudanese didn't know that it was wrong to steal in Australia.So Philip being very astute says,"So theft is legal in Sudan?" "Oh no,no,you cannot steal in Sudan." Philip also said that being warriors, why aren't they playing for Auckland.

Really what a joke.Perhaps being warriors they could practise some skippy bashing like some other disfunctionals we have invited into our community.
So if the rest of the world over populates itself to an orgy of violence and depravity,but somehow it is all Australia's fault and responsibility.Well continue in this vein, and we will become exactly like them.
Posted by Arjay, Saturday, 4 March 2006 6:53:09 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi, redneck,

I am glad you appreciate my namesake's utterances. One of my favourites was in 1975 when Senator Bert Milliner died and Joh said:

"I consider that this was a genuine death, not a contrived death, and so a Labor man should replace him."

However my favourite comment of all came from Piggy Muldoon, who advised the President of Nigeria to consult a taxidermist. Piggy was also the one, who when asked to comment on the exodus of people from NZ to Australia said that he was in favour of because it raised the IQ of both countries.

Back to the subject of refugees, I fail to see how the fact that everyone has an equal right to dignity and worth gives them any right to enter Australia without our permission. Most of the exponents of unlimited access are internationalists who would like to break down borders and have the whole world ruled by the UN Committee on Human Rights, which is staffed by some of the most horrendous regimes in the world.
Posted by joh bjelke, Saturday, 4 March 2006 9:10:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
BOAZ_David - Regarding rights, surely it is just and fair (and I would have thought the Christian way) that everyone should have the right to be free from torture and persecution. You and other posters here seem to think that rights somehow belong to those in the West and that the rest of the world is undeserving of such an entitlement.

You state - "There is ANOTHER aspect to 'rights' and that is the 'right' of a sovereign people to maintain that soveriegnty ! Free from the intrusive threat of opportunistic 'others'."

What hypocrisy to claim that we have the right to control our borders and yet at the same time we should be free to trample all over the rights of others to do the same. Millions of Iraqis and Afghanis would I'm sure have liked to have been able to control their borders and thus have prevented the US-led invasion of their countries.

If you are fair and honest you should at least admit that we have an obligation to assist the refugees that we, as part of the 'coalition-of-the-willing', helped create.

Allowing a few thousand refugees a year to settle permanently in our country is not in any way going to lead to the doomsday scenarios some of you are hysterically alluding to.

Our future security depends on Australia being able to build good will within the region. Treating legitimate asylum seekers like criminals and deporting them back to danger and death is hardly likely to be viewed as neighbourly.
Posted by Bronwyn, Saturday, 4 March 2006 10:51:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To Ms. Bronwyn

No hypocrisy at all.

If unelected governments in Iraq and Afghanistan are creating a flood of "refugees" to OUR society, that is sufficient justification in declaring war against those governments. Ironically, that is what Greg (mouthfull of name) said in the topic header. If you don't agree with him, then take the matter up with Greg. He is preaching the same line about refugees as you. So, it is incumbent upon you to do the Inquisition thing about his political heresy before you start pulling out the fingernails of us political pagans.

Once again, you imply that no government has the right to prevent people from crossing it's borders. The overwhelming majority of people would shake their heads in pitying wonder at you and your comrades for that one. Does it bother you when everybody laughs at your wacky premises?

As far as I and so many other posters on this forum are concerned, the protection of our own people, within our own country, is the highest morality. The protection of our own community is our people's pre eminent right. It takes precedence over any non Australian's "right". Inequality is the entire basis of the concepts of "citizenship" and "non citizenship."

Tell me Bronnie. How did you develop this hatred for your own people? Why is it that you consider the welfare of every other person in the world to be more important than the peacefull functioning of your own society?

I am not being sarcastic, this is a genuine thirst for knowledge.
Posted by redneck, Sunday, 5 March 2006 6:29:21 AM
Are western countries expected to take full responsibility for the world's woes? How about a little responsibilty on the part of 'third worlders' (by that I mean non-western countries).

If there is no need for national borders, then in a similar vein, there is no need for a fence on our house block. Come to think of it, there would be no need for even a door at the entry!

Just about anyone from a non-developed country can claim asylum. That is, billions of people. I can't help to think refugee advocates have a sinister agenda.
Posted by davo, Sunday, 5 March 2006 9:13:37 AM
Western people have rights only because we fought for them. Our rights were not bestowed on us. If non-Westerners want the same rights they have to look at why we have those rights, and fight for the same democratic system and right to be heard that we have.

Australia does not have to fight for the rights of other people. The UN is supposed to be doing that, but it is not. The UN’s only ‘contribution’ has been to get as many Third World losers as possible into Western countries where they are culturally and socially incompatible with the host populations. The bulk of people without rights stay on in their own countries and do nothing to help themselves. Rights cannot be gained in totalitarian countries by bringing refugees to Australia.

Goodwin-Gill’s first option – help people in situ – is the only rational and useful way. But it still not particularly Australia’s problem or duty, although we may be able to assist a properly functioning UN in accordance with our resources.

People such as Bronwyn are merely projecting their feelings of superiority (even though they mean well) by insisting that we should be taking refugees. Equality and human dignity demand that people in Third World countries get off their backsides and do something to improve their conditions if they don’t like what they are enduring. They have to it on their own because Bronwyn and other refugee advocates have made it very clear that we, as part of a Coalition, shouldn’t be in Iraq and should never have entered Iraq.

Frankly, the real ‘hypocrites’ are these refugee advocates whose consciences are assuaged by bringing a few people into Australia while most of their countrymen are left at home to suffer despotism.
Posted by Leigh, Sunday, 5 March 2006 12:22:47 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy