The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > I hope David Hicks is patient > Comments

I hope David Hicks is patient : Comments

By John Andrewartha, published 30/1/2006

John Andrewartha argues it is time justice was done for David Hicks.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. All
Redneck by name, redneck by inclination. I thought this was a site to talk about David Hicks. When you can gather your scatter-gun thoughts and concentrate on the problem at hand - i.e. the lack of democratic justice to this young man - perhaps your comments will be taken seriously.
Posted by disgusted, Tuesday, 7 February 2006 10:39:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
G&T and Disgusted:

As was intimated in 'Good Night & Good Luck' television is being used to 'dumb down' and influence society so much so that the curiosity and questioning of the community in regards to Hicks can be satisfied by showing a picture of him holding a rocket launcher.

How Redneck can possibly keep a straight face while asserting that it is quite ok for Hicks to be neither classified a POW nor a civilian 'terrorist' and therefore not entitled to justice is beyond me. If it wasn't such a disturbing proposition it would be funny! But Redneck typifies the ignoramuses that are happy for a fellow citizen to be tried by Ray Martin and Mike Munro.

The Taliban has exactly the same regard for our soldiers as redneck has for the Taliban- they classify them not as POW's but as infidels. I take it Mr. Redneck when an Aussie is captured and beheaded you'll maintain the war on terror renders him an 'enemy combatant' (or whatever that is) too? FYI 'enemy combatant' was first dismissed by the US Supreme Court as an illegitimate classification when NAZI spys landed on Rhode Island during WWII.
Posted by wre, Tuesday, 7 February 2006 10:56:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks WRE for flying the flag for rational conservatism on OLO. What bothers me about folk like redneck is that while they pose as heroic race crusaders, their political position is that of scared little babies ready to chuck out the rule of law at the slightest threat to their well-being. 'Terrorists? Please don't let them bomb my place! I'll do anything!'

Cowards.
Posted by KRS 1, Tuesday, 7 February 2006 11:47:26 AM
KRS 1 Worried about terrorists makes us cowards - what totally warped thinking. Love for our families, love for our freedom loving nation, love for our present way of life maybe these things make us anti-terrorists.
KRS 1 Are you related to Neville Chamberlain a wartime PM of Britain who appeased the stinking nazis. Maybe he thought that those who worried about Herr Hitler [yes he called him that] were cowards or worrywarts.
To think that my taxes "educated?" someone like you. numbat
Posted by numbat, Tuesday, 7 February 2006 1:18:00 PM
Numbat-

You bet I'm worried about our freedom-loving nation. That's why I'll continue defending its freedoms from people like you. I know you're scared, Numbat- terrorism is very, very scary. Osama is scary. And it's okay to be a little bit scared, but you should try and bear in mind that statistically speaking you're about as likely to die from terrorism as you are from a shark attack.

As for how standing up for Hicks equates to appeasing Hitler- I'll leave advanced logic like that to 'educated' people like yourself.
Posted by KRS 1, Tuesday, 7 February 2006 1:38:04 PM
Numbat and Redneck,

Those who are willing to sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither.

KRS 1 (and wre),

Good points.

Ironic isn't it. By condoning the government's actions here, Numbat and Redneck are actually condoning the very same thing happening to them. Numbat and Redneck may not be affliliated with any terrorist organisations but that's not going to mean much once Australia gets it's "Patriot" Act and they (Redneck/Numbat) send a "suspicious" email to a friend that our Federal Police interpret as a possible threat...then comes the anti-terror legislation (but I'll leave that alone for now). Sure, the chances of that happening may be miniscule, but it's the principal of it. Yes, those pesky principals that Redneck dosen't like are, again - ironically, protecting him.

Their warped way of thinking sets a precedence for governments to do whatever the hell they please. Imagine what an oppressive dictatorship this world would be if all governments shared Redneck's views. I believe George Orwell wrote a book about it.
Posted by Mr Man, Tuesday, 7 February 2006 2:28:40 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. All