The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Multiculturalism still rings strong > Comments

Multiculturalism still rings strong : Comments

By Salam Zreika, published 25/1/2006

Salam Zreika argues Australia Day is the best day to celebrate multiculturalism.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 22
  10. 23
  11. 24
  12. All
Fellow_Human, you're my fellow human.

Couldn't say it better except I would replace the 'cowardly' media entry with simply a 'sensationalist' media.
Posted by Ro, Wednesday, 25 January 2006 3:12:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Cronulla riot is now forgotten by the rest of the world. For us it is a novelty, WE THINK the world actually gives a damn.

Neverless the general consensus on this thread is multiculturalism is an embarrassment, shameful and very much like a car wreck. AGREED. Australia day represents the beginning of Australia as a modern industrialised democracy. NEWSFLASH. White people are at the forefront of Australia's development. Multi-culti is barely even a part of Australia's history, I'd say like a baby in nappies (as evidenced by some on this thread - multiculti has not even been toilet trained).

Nevertheless, some are bored by the efficiency of Aussie life, and feel the need to import people from here there and everywhere to fulfil the in vogue ideal of multiculturalism. Salam is a part of this crazed experiment, and the contradicitions inher article show it.
Posted by davo, Wednesday, 25 January 2006 3:14:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
KRS 1, as esteemable as your namesake!

Definitions are what is required, I would note that you #1 is actually integration rather than assimilation. assimilation is what multiculturalism stands for, ie australia changes its ideology to include those of people immigrating. integration sees immigrants as coming to this country to live like us ideologically (not religiously or culturally). By ideologically I mean the legal system we live by and the democracy this produces.

Unfortunately most people are unaware of these two drastically different alternatives.

Perhaps the fact that we (and I do assume this for most if not all australians) is that regarding ideological (legal and democratic) issues we want to be integrating other peoples, whereas culturally (language, art etc) we want immigrants to assimilate (we are interested in improving our culture through their historical experiences etc).

But what do we tell immigrants, this is a multicultural society, with no explanation of what this means, what is expected, what laws they need to follow etc. if they had the english to understand even that first sentence 'this is a multicultural society' the actual statement is meaningless when the government has not espoused what it legally means.

We should explain it as multicultural is about culture, and definitely not about ideologies prevelant in those cultures. Ideologically we do not welcome your input, culturally we do.

Ps. why doesn't someone spell out this authors history before bagging it out, do not carry previous forums over to new ones! Or perhaps some posts have been removed. What on earth is everyone going on about, it certainly is not this article.
Posted by fide mae, Wednesday, 25 January 2006 4:07:01 PM
Get Alchemist day is it, love it. Those that label people racist, are just that. I object to the violent, irrational and illogical stupidity of religion, not a persons race. Show me where I mention race.

Salam is a representative of a religion, not a race. However being an Australian she has decided to follow a religious culture that's foreign, is seen to be very violent between themselves and at odds with Australians approach.

Logically, that makes her a racist and anti Australian. Her religious cultures the problem. Not her race, she's Australian.

Those that have no knowledge to uphold their beleifs, sling accusations in a futile attempt to hide their inadequate, illusional knowledge of the religion they cling to, in drowning desperation.

PK, “If he wasn't ashamed image of Australia that the reports of the Cronulla riots would have depicted overseas”.

Show me to those shameful reports. Talk to those that live in Europe and see how they reacted, most never even heard about it. They have enough religious trouble of their own to deal with

So you accuse me of being racist against an Australian. Very rational and logical. I just wonder sometimes, from what orifice of your bodies some of you religious, pull these statements from.

Fh, exactly right, lots of the problems could be sorted out with a more authoritative approach, instead if the mealy mouthed PC pollies, pleasing no one, but themselves.

Multiculturalism is not here to stay, because over time all cultures blend in with the dominant one. real Australians don't want the dominant culture in Australia to be a religious one, and all religions have that goal. It is a part of all their doctrines, they just use different methods.

Australia is fine as it is, and will continue that way as long as people keep their beleifs to themselves and in their homes. I'm sure your god would agree with a peaceful accepting culture like Australia, rather than example of religious ones throughout the world and their history
Posted by The alchemist, Wednesday, 25 January 2006 4:42:37 PM
I just wanted to add that I'm not anti-multiculti. I just thought the article was antagonistic.

Asking if Aust Day is just an "excuse to get drunk" is not going to elicit constructive comments from Australians about what Australia Day means to them. For some (like Dick), it's just boring. For others, it could be a celebration of the day they became an australian. For others, it may be just a day to "get drunk". It doesn't really matter, they're all valid meanings for different individuals. Kind of like religion really.

PS: I was overseas during the riots and they didn't make the news. I only knew about it because I read the smh website.
Posted by lisamaree, Wednesday, 25 January 2006 4:55:21 PM
Sorry, Got here too late Salam, it appears the lunatic OLO gang of Right wingers (and whingers), paranoid conspiracy theorists, alien abductees and disgruntled ex One Nation fodder have pounced and are attempting to weave your words into their hate speach making (again) Its how they celebrate their unique form of Australianness. Don't you just love em!

But much more importantly- From this Indigenous first nation person to you and your family and friends, have a great day tomorrow. You're as much a part of this country as I am. To my many other OLO friends here the same to you too. You know who you are!

I'll be marching tomorrow with my people, many of them non-Indigenous Anglo’s and people from all around the world. We call tomorrow Invasion Day, but it’s also a celebration of our survival.

Assalamu Alilkum Wa Rahmatulah Wa Barakatuh!
Posted by Rainier, Wednesday, 25 January 2006 5:05:03 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 22
  10. 23
  11. 24
  12. All