The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Regional campuses face a rocky road ahead > Comments

Regional campuses face a rocky road ahead : Comments

By James O'Brien, published 19/1/2006

James O'Brien argues smaller, regional university campuses will be uniquely affected by VSU.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
James, as you say, "the current level of service provided is above the market equilibrium." This is in part because, as you point out, universities failed to ask "what do their students require, and who should pay for it?"

Of course things will be more difficult at smaller universities, just as it's easier and less costly to provide facilities in cities than in small remote settlements. That's a fact of life which is too often ignored by governments in promoting or subsidising non-viable activities. If the loss of compulsory unionism is enough to render a small university non-viable (in itself or for some students), one must ask why it exists in the first place
Posted by Faustino, Thursday, 19 January 2006 12:23:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As an Undergraduate at SCU I thank you for your article. It reminded me to make an appointment with the dentist. I cannot afford dental otherwise.

SCU SRC made a very telling video that surveyed the community and suggested that VSU would cost this area (the Northern Rivers) approx $2 million a year in lost revenue for the local business community. (You could probably get a copy from them).

Back to the dentist. Dependant on what the Uni decides I will still pay VSU, for it gives me access to the dentist, it subsidises the Co-Op bookshop, and stationary shop as well as other services, some of which I will not use but my fellow students may, such as child care.

Faustino,'it's easier and less costly to provide facilities in cities than in small remote settlements'
Toowoomba and Lismore are NOT small remote settlements rather they are thriving regional cities with no pollution, no traffic jams or road rage.

What they do have are wonderful community based learning centres, with a diverse population garnered from local, regional and international students making them truly cosmopolitan a marvelous place to live. A marvelous place to study.

Bah Humbug to the centralisation of everything in major state capital cities
Posted by Coyote, Thursday, 19 January 2006 1:10:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Coyote, my reference to “small remote communities” was making a general point, not describing Toowoomba and Lismore as such. Nor do I believe in complete centralisation or homoegeneity. What I do believe is that if people want to live in a decentralisated, small-scale manner, they should recognise that there are costs involved (as well as the benefits you appreciate), and not expect the majority, living in metropolitan areas with their own costs and benefits, to subsidise their choice.
Posted by Faustino, Thursday, 19 January 2006 1:43:57 PM
James - what's the primary role of student unions? Is it to represent and advance members' interests or provide services?
Posted by alex p, Thursday, 19 January 2006 2:34:50 PM
Alex,

The role of student organisations is a mixed one. On most campuses there has been a body or number of bodies charged with a mixture of providing support and representation as well as the provision of services.

The real question here is not what is the purpose of student unions, but what is the purpose of the student fee. That’s what all the fighting is about, cold hard cash.

Who should pay it, who shouldn’t, what should it be used for.

As most of the money went to services, from a financial perspective that was the main purpose or main activity. Student representation may be the moral heart of a student organisation, but what we became was a way of funding what universities don’t.

James J O’Brien
Posted by Zephyrus, Thursday, 19 January 2006 5:23:50 PM
Coyote says "... suggested that VSU would cost this area (the Northern Rivers) approx $2 million a year in lost revenue for the local business community...". I don't believe this would be the case. The money that the students had to pay on the fees, would be spend in on things that the student values more highly - most likely in the local area, causing the VSU to be revenue neutral for the area.

Of course for some students who were well off this may be put into savings and others would simply not spend it because they didn't have the money in the first place and I think you would agree it is better for those who cannot afford it to not go into debt if they can help it.

When I went to Uni several years ago, I found I used very few of the services or other things the SU provided. I did a Computing/Accounting double degree at a regional Uni and one of the stories I remember was that it cost the department over a $1,000,000 a year in internet access costs and growing. I loved the unlimited internet but they could have improved the uni’s financial position by making the internet access prepaid - like at the high school I attended. By the time I had left, they had implemented smartcards which were used to pay for printing.

Free BBQ’s were another thing that the SU spent money on. Uni students love free food, but in reality they paid for it in the Compulsory fee. In my experience at uni, I don’t think I would notice the loss of services at all from VSU.

Finally, everyone is assuming VSU will make a big difference to the amount the SU gets. If they are providing services that people agree with and want, it is conceivable that students would still be willing to pay the fees.
Posted by geoff_, Thursday, 19 January 2006 8:38:37 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy