The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Politics, young people and the Internet > Comments

Politics, young people and the Internet : Comments

By Heejin Lee and Gil-Soo Han, published 17/1/2006

Heejin Lee and Gil-Soo Han argue young people are taking advantage of the Internet for political ends.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Gentlemen,
It is my firm hope that your opinions are correct. The youth of this country need to know about politics, because politics is life.

My grandfather once told me Shaun" politics donates how much a loaf of bread/packet of rice will cost, and also how much money you will have in your pocket whith which to but it" as you can tell, I have never forgotten those words.

Why aren't politics taught in High School? It beats me, they are taught geography, language, science,maths, yet not the basics of how our democracy is supposed to work, I can't imagine why. When I went to school we had a subject named Social Studies in the 1960's, which has no become a subject of choice, not compulsory, I think this is wrong, and believe every child should leave the school system with at least a basic knowledge of how our system of Government works, and the basic phyosophy of the political parties of the day.

If this is not happening, how can voters make an informed choice at the ballot box. I overhear so often conversations like "they are all the same aren't they?" from the people uneducated in politics, and I think it's a shame, they have a democracy but don't have the knowledge to use it to their advantage. Perhaps the fact that public schools educate 70% of the students, but only recieve 30% of federal Government Education funding could have something to do with it.
Posted by SHONGA, Thursday, 19 January 2006 4:14:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I also hope that your claims are correct. A well informed electorate would certainly demand a government with a vision extending beyond the next election.
Posted by Peace, Tuesday, 24 January 2006 6:56:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sorry Shonga, I cannot agree in any way with politics being taught in schools. I sincerely hope it never happens. At least a Maths teacher cannot push his or her personal agenda - Maths is pretty much universal. Can you imagine politics being taught objectively? It would be like asking a catholic priest to teach the beliefs of another religion! Besides schools are battling to teach the basics, without adding anything more to their agenda.
Posted by Coraliz, Tuesday, 24 January 2006 7:24:09 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy