The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Environmental security in a post-tsunami world > Comments

Environmental security in a post-tsunami world : Comments

By Chris Hails, published 17/1/2006

Chris Hails argues we need to take better care of the environment that sustains us.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. All
G'day All,
I have read quite a few comments about how sea water could be fed to Lake Eyre, several with suggestions of a relatively deep canal from Port Augusta through Lake Torrens and maybe a tunnel feeding the water through to Lake Eyre South. Some discussions included flow rates needed to fill and maintain the combined Eyre lakes at a sufficient level while compensating for evaporation.
I have not seen any suggestions regarding a syphoning pipeline utilising the 10 to 15 metre fall to Lake Eyre South. I'm told the pipeline from the Barossa Reservoir to Kadina passes over the Hummocks range without any pumps being required. The likely inland climate benefits have been discussed to the extent that the Murray Darling catchment could benefit substantially from reducing the deflection of southerly air streams. Waderyrekon?
Posted by frostyinferno, Friday, 16 February 2007 9:40:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
G'day All again,
Have I made it clear? My suggestion is to SYPHON sea water to Lake Eyre South from Port Augusta. I ask - what size pipe would be required? A big one I imagine, but a more practical prospect than a more costly canal and tunnel system.
I don't see a need to drain the highly saline water back to the ocean. During significant natural flows into Lake Eyre South the water over flows into Lake Eyre proper and salt would accumulate there at the lowest places. Would that be a problem - I think not!
I know that when something like this is proposed, the 'nay sayers' think of every conceivable reason to deny its progress.
What size pipe and how much would it cost are open questions. Please let me know!
frostyinferno
Posted by frostyinferno, Saturday, 17 February 2007 11:31:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Estimating mechanical parameters of water supply systems has been considering anomg the simplest engineering tasks.

What sort of a strategiclife-time water solution might be offered by one incapable to estimate such the simplest stuff?
Posted by MichaelK., Sunday, 18 February 2007 1:14:08 AM
Saying something is simple and not offering an answer is a big cop-out!
It's also quite aggressive to cast aspersions on someone's capabilities without having a clue as to what they might be. Let's have some positive responses to ligitimate questions please.
Posted by frostyinferno, Monday, 19 February 2007 10:19:51 AM
Personally, I do not participate in this forum to lecture on very grounds of a water supply of which selecting a pipe diameter belongs to.

And "legitimate questions" sound too often like just a next testimony to the legitimate rejecting of professional non-Anglos-es, who, as one understood, according to Canberra's minders are good for sustaining a heard at endless English courses for creating job places for native English speakers mostly.
Posted by MichaelK., Monday, 19 February 2007 1:24:34 PM
A syphon won't lift water more than about 10m above the source water level, because the weight of the water in the uphill section becomes such that atmospheric pressure is not sufficient to push it up, and a vacuum will develop at the top. If you were to build a syphon pipe, it would have to tunnel through any land that is more than about 7m above sea level (you don't want to run too close to the 10m limit, or water will start vaporising in the pipe as it heats up). Overall, I don't think the syphon idea would work very well.
Posted by geek100, Monday, 12 March 2007 9:04:44 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy