The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Is English the world’s oyster? > Comments

Is English the world’s oyster? : Comments

By Stephen Crabbe, published 13/1/2006

Stephen Crabbe argues we should be sceptical of the anglophonic triumphalism of the mass media.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
The debate goes on.. Thank you for this interesting on-the-ground article.
Posted by Pachelbel, Friday, 13 January 2006 9:48:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Stephen's observations about the exhibitions of desire to learn English among Chinese people are spot on. This can be seen in many countries where English is not the first language, particularly in poorer countries. English is seen there as part of the key to success, wealth and recognition, regardless of whether the acquisition of English would have much practical benefit to the individual. It is not uncommon in countries such as Thailand to see Thais wearing T-shirts bearing a slogan or message in English that the owner of the shirt probably does not understand. I speculate that the owner is seeking to associate with a language that symbolises a degree of success and learning that the owner probably does not actually possess. In this way, the desire to know the English language is a manifestation of western cultural imperialism.

But what about Esperanto, the great dream of an international language? Although nearly invisible still, its adherants are growing worldwide and it is not inconceivable that one day it will rank highly among the world's major languages.
Posted by PK, Friday, 13 January 2006 12:56:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
In reality English is itself evolving into a kind of 'Esperanto'. As more people learn English as a second language the intricacies are lost as a more globalised and simplified form of the language becomes widespread. Hopefully the 'Old English' will survive.
Posted by sajo, Friday, 13 January 2006 2:40:56 PM
Thanks to the posters so far. Sajo, like you I am anxious to ensure that my mother-tongue does not lose its richness. A number of people who pay attention to language have also noted the phenomenon you mention in which English seems to be pared down to the bone. But I disagree that this is making it a "kind of Esperanto". I think Esperanto can be much more powerful than this skeleton English.

In this respect both you and PK may be interested in my next article.
Posted by Crabby, Friday, 13 January 2006 5:41:24 PM
I´ve read the interesting article by Stephen Crabbe. Nobody can deny the need of an international language in the modern world. English, like French and Spanish cannot play that role, because they have many irregularities, words with several meanings, idioms, etc. Many years are necessary to learn them.

On the other hand, Esperanto is easy-to-learn, flexible and efficient in practice.
Posted by Martelo, Saturday, 14 January 2006 4:09:25 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A couple of observations.

English should be judged not by the actual numbers of those who speak it, but the fact that it is spoken in so many places, by so many different races. Either as a first or a second language.

I would love to see English evolve into a SIMPLE form using logical spelling

u for 'you' maybe 'uu' for plural :)
Thort for 'thought'
bort for bought
hite for 'height'
laaf for "laugh"
2gether for 'together'. (saves one character)
gr8 for 'great' (saves 2 characters)
1sided for 'one sided'
3fold for 'threefold'

etc etc....

I suppose I'll be crucified by the purists, but never mind.

I hope more of us will make the effort to speak at least one other language. I speak Malay, Indonesian and a tribal language of Sarawak, and am building up a smattering of Manderin bit by bit and I know my life has been enriched beyond measure by the process.

Of all the Spiritual gifts mentioned in 1Corinthians the one I often wish I had is the gift of 'Tongues' :) unfortunately, thus far its been the hard and rocky road of study study study.

I recommend a text which is a good guide to practical language learning called LAMP (Language Acquisition Made Practical)
Failing that, we can use the method we all used as babies :)
Posted by BOAZ_David, Saturday, 14 January 2006 7:56:53 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy