The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The growing cost of living poorly > Comments

The growing cost of living poorly : Comments

By Julie Edwards, published 17/1/2006

Julie Edwards argues the cost of living for the poor has risen disproportionately to that of the rich.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Well Craig Blanch,

The thought of being a globe trotting well paid expatriate runs vividly through my mind as well – I wish that it were the truth now, however as a mere volunteer, the remuneration was not all that grand on Australian scales anyway. The mere fact that I did actually employ, was just that, to employ and distribute some funds where they were needed, without taking the high moral ground of having come from a country that was riding high – and very well paid? – but of course, compared to the people I was working with, who actually got nothing.

Now that I have come back after squandering my massive (sic) salaries, I feel that I have earned the right to pontificate a bit, after all as the saying goes, I have been there and done that, I have done my best, and with my limited funds tried to help my fellow man.

How very perceptive of you to actually twist what I said – “quite more than half my income goes on rent, power and essential communications” to “still have upwards of half of it left?” ….. Ah the absolute brashness of ignorance, for that is what you are, an ignorant autocrat, a soulless milker of the government teat for your own benefit! Tell me my good fellow, what exactly, or any one thing in particular, have you done to alleviate the sufferings of others?

Criticism is something I always take on board, but you offer nothing but destructive criticism, which places you in the land of the mental midgets, with only your strident mouth setting you apart from the rest, but you do make yourself a target, so may I offer this rehashed phrase of advice – “It is better to shut up and be thought a fool, than to speak out and confirm it”

Where do you fit into the scheme of life? Do you have anything to contribute – or are you just another self flagellating hollow drum, full of noise, but bereft of ideas, actions and compassion for your fellow man.
Posted by Kekenidika, Thursday, 19 January 2006 9:06:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Kekenidika, you wrote "Criticism is something I always take on board, but you offer nothing but destructive criticism which places you in the land of the mental midgets". Sadly in replying to Craig you have now placed yourself in the same land....what a shame....
Posted by Coraliz, Thursday, 19 January 2006 9:25:06 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Kekendrika, a very spirited defense by someone who in one post was very well paid while, when it serves, in the next post was paid very little as a volunteer.
What I do or do not do for my fellow man is not a topic that I believe is appropriate for the public domain. It would serve to relinquish any good I may have done in the name of empathy and reduce it to a self promoting tool. If there are those that have benefited by my existence then they already know and care, just as I have benefited from the existence of others.
If you wish to post an article that serves to promote yourself then don't be surprised at comments that may be critical of self elevation in the guise of empathetic comment.
Posted by Craig Blanch, Thursday, 19 January 2006 11:01:43 AM
Coraliz: – my abject apologies and I should have known better to rise to the bait. However having said what I said, I retract nothing.

Graig: - It is easy to pick and twist out of context to suit any purpose, the same as statistics, statistics and damned lies. The obscene amount of money I was paid was just that, compared to the people I was living amongst, who had nothing, it was. But then again it is impossible judge unless you lived there, not just taken a holiday there for a few weeks with all your perceived comforts.

It is easy for people to twist well out of context and I most certainly am not looking for empathy, especially those who deliberately choose to misspell my name, but then again, that is the tool of a self serving political mindset.

Note of course that my questions were not answered, but in yet another obtuse attack on what is perceived to be one of self promotion, answers my questions with mere pretentious rhetoric dashed off with little or no thought.

To quote St. Jerome - “Dum excusare credis, accusas” - I myself stand aside, taking no credit for whatever good (or bad).
Posted by Kekenidika, Thursday, 19 January 2006 1:25:22 PM
Yes, Scout, I agree with what you have said. There seems to be a tendency on the part of many people to use the word 'poverty' to mean either relative or absolute poverty, whichever suits their argument at the time, which of course causes only confusion.

Your friends who complained of 'struggling' because they could not afford to go to New York for holidays are beyond the pale. What an abuse of the word 'struggling'! They remind me of the French aristocrats on the eve of the French Revolution - Marie Antoinette's famous (or infamous) saying shows either how out of touch she was with the ordinary person or a very insensitive joke.
Posted by Kephren, Thursday, 19 January 2006 2:10:09 PM
Yabby,
Thank you for your kind words, as you will read on other threads I now am afflicted with the following, which makes reliability, and concerntration major factors in my employment prospects, along with my age, I am 50, and have the following, Chronic Major Depression, Generalised Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and lastly Insommnia.

I would absolutely love to make a contribution to this great country again, however my last employment experience of 21 years of intimidation, emotional blackmail [I had a mortage] and assualt, has led me to my current medical position re WA Premier Gallop. Unfortunately in my case I cannot afford private treatment, and rely on the under-funded State Government system, which has had its funding slashed by nearly $1 billion by Mr. Costello in 2004 for 5 years hence. The coal face is that the states systems have shortages in staff in my case in Mental Health, so recovery looks like an eternity away. I cannot function like a normal human being, and at the moment have no prospect of doing so, due to lack of treatment for my illness. With 20% of Australians affected wouldn't you think the Federal Government would increase not decrease funding to the States for health, if only to make more people available for work, I would.

I fully realise who actually pays for my pension, as I have paid for nearly 40 years myself, however I have also paid for corporate welfare, building of bridges, dams and railway lines, of which I am very proud. I didn't realise until recently what pensioners were screaming about, why old ladies have to do without hot water systems, as they can't replace them when they fail. It is a schocking experience I can assure you, I recieve approx $180 p.w. I don't know the exact sum as my wife has had to take over the financial running of our home, it is not a pretty story.
Posted by SHONGA, Thursday, 19 January 2006 4:37:32 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy