The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Perils of multicultural education > Comments

Perils of multicultural education : Comments

By Kevin Donnelly, published 6/1/2006

Kevin Donnelly argues the PC approach to teaching multiculturalism in schools contributed to the recent violence.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Jolanda,

Does this mean we cannot count on your support to get rid of 'madrassas'?
Posted by coach, Monday, 9 January 2006 10:58:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Goodness me...you're not serious Kevin. Some kids might still go to schools where there is only one ethnic group represented, but those kids would be in the minority (excuse the pun).

I agree that it's important that kids understand "their responsibilities in a civil society". I'm just not sure how the basic tenet of "look out the window children, there are lots of different people in the world" is at odds with that.

And I'm not sure I understand the point you're making: Australian culture ISN'T "riven with privilege and marginalisation"? Since when? Did the working poor get a yacht for Christmas? I'm all for celebrating what unites us, but I don't pretend that the community we live in is something it's not just to make myself feel better.

When I was travelling in Northern Ireland a few years ago, I met several people my age (in their early 20s) who despite a relative cease-fire were brutally attached to a partisan standpoint in a way that I wouldn't have expected. Surely that is partly about an ongoing indoctrination, which happens not only through their schooling but also through their interactions with parents, peers and also their understanding of the messages relayed by their leaders (both elected and made).

It's true that what is real is that there has been a dominant Anglo-Celtic culture in this country. But to ignore people's differing experience of what has occurred in our country's history is surely the basis of as much tension and grievance as to attempt to understand the variety of histories we hold in this country.

Education might be the magic bullet (and I believe that it is), but let's not hold schools wholly and individually responsible for the development of children into responsible adults. Surely we know better than that.
Posted by seether, Monday, 9 January 2006 11:10:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I didn’t just mean treated in school coach! I meant treated in general.

I think you will find that if children’s best interest was of paramount concern in every culture and religion then there wouldn’t be any need to get rid of any school for madrassas because they wouldn’t exist!

So yes, I will support a move to create an environment where there is no need for there to be a school refered to as "madrassas".
Posted by Jolanda, Monday, 9 January 2006 11:40:35 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Coach, how do you define a madressa? Do you know what the word means? Do you know which language it is in? Can you advise as to where madressas exist in Sydney or Melbourne?
Posted by Irfan, Monday, 9 January 2006 10:48:46 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
rainer, you say you teach multiculti and tolerance in class.....that's great, i only wish other teachers followed your example.

judging by the racist violence and abuse suffered by white folk at the hands of lebanese muslims the message doesn't seem to be getting out......perhaps you could intensify your efforts in spreading peace and happiness amongst the tribes.
Posted by vinny, Tuesday, 10 January 2006 6:55:06 AM
With no shadow of excuse of any “abusing women, destroying property and burning churches”, one must notice that apartheid and segregation start on work places and continue in schools and on streets.

Let us not confuse civilized democratic right on preserving national/religious traditions with compulsory involvement in ghetto-style politics.
Posted by MichaelK., Tuesday, 10 January 2006 6:23:37 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy