The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Lost between war and peace, the Leb wild Westies > Comments

Lost between war and peace, the Leb wild Westies : Comments

By Joseph Wakim, published 20/12/2005

Joseph Wakim argues the more Lebanese youths are demonised, the more they are driven to the margins of Australian society.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. Page 14
  10. All
Today I was walking along Bondi Road when I heard the sound of very loud Arabic music blaring from a car approaching from behind me.

I turned and listened as the source of the music approached, so I was able to tell that I could first hear it when the car was about 100 metres away.

The car was the centre vehicle in a group of three containing young men 'of middle eastern appearance' that were waving and calling to each other as they drove past me. The fact that these young men are so insecure that they have to travel in convoy was the first thing that came to mind.

But, with their music, combined with their actions so far, they had simply self identified as probably belonging to a middle eastern culture.

A woman, mid 20s, simply dressed in the same way as any young woman in Bondi, was waiting to cross at the lights. One of the young men leant out the car window and spat at her, and made some comment in what sounded like Arabic, as they drove past.

So, Joseph Wakim, how am I supposed to approach the actions of these young men? Are they being driven to the margins of Australian society, or are they driving themselves there willingly in convoys of three or more cars? Or do you expect Australian society to accept their actions as part of the mainstream?
Posted by Hamlet, Tuesday, 27 December 2005 7:36:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hamlet,

This occurs everyday in pockets of Sydney Southwest and not always from young thugs either. I and other acquaintances have witnessed rudeness and arrogance from some tent covered women too in shopping centres and while driving.

No one should tolerate this or be on the receiving end of abuse.

Some friends went for a swim to Cronulla this weekend and felt reassured with the presence of 25 police cars there.

My question is how long will the police intend to be visible? And when will it be considered safe to get out of your car and walk on the beach?

I think there is more to it than ‘demonising’ going on here. There is a cultural peculiarity within that community that allows anti-social behaviour to flourish. From a young age these kids are surrounded by defective role models and malfunctioning families.

The fruits don’t fall too far from the tree. What goes into their minds must come out in their actions.
Posted by coach, Tuesday, 27 December 2005 10:52:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What we need is a Commonwealth level Enquiry into the Australian Police Force, having become to intimidated to deal with leb or islamic crime.

There are now death threats on one of the Anglo multicultural rioters from the day at Cronulla.
The leb bikie gang the Comancheros made a “peace” pact with the BraBoys… like hell it was peace, peace our way or we kill you. Leb crime has been out of control for years.

“Interfaith” talks are a cruel joke on us all. We all know what the deal is. We need to enable the police to act, an Enquiry would be a good place to start
Posted by meredith, Tuesday, 27 December 2005 11:17:47 PM
Keith - good correction thanks for that.
Posted by Pedant, Wednesday, 11 January 2006 5:58:59 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. Page 14
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy