The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Rebellion against sedition > Comments

Rebellion against sedition : Comments

By Lindsay Foyle, published 12/12/2005

Lindsay Foyle argue the laws relating to sedition could be used to put cartoonists and journalists in jail.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
“There have been constant attacks on the ABC by sections of the Federal Government claiming the organisation is biased. While there have been inquiries, few examples of bias have been found..”

It would be truer to say that the ABC’s investigations of ITSELF have found few examples of bias.

This media person presents no evidence for his claim that sections of the Liberal Party have sought to turn the ABC into a propaganda machine. They would probably be happy for it to be merely neutral. It is already a propaganda machine for anti-conservative forces and is a devout critic of the Government’s and Australia’s alliances, views and action on anything and everything.

The comment about critics of the ABC being “. far to the right and away from mainstream Australia..” shows the author’s own bias and sneaks past the fact that relatively few members of “mainstream Australia” watch and listen to the ABC anyway.

Mr. Foyle’s comment about the Government’s “obsession with control” says it all. It’s what we expect from a post-modernist member of the media. He/they are the ones obsessed with the need to ‘inform’ and influence their audience, and they invariably accuse their opponents of the very same fault to cover their own tracks.

Invoking ‘dictators’ and tacitly suggesting that we are heading for a dictatorship is a useful ploy they also use.

The author talks about government “drawing on community fears”. He is doing the very same thing, appealing to fears of dictatorships and censorship. Howard’s word is, of course, no good, but we must trust the media.

The media and its practitioners need to realise that “mainstream” Australia doesn’t love and admire them as much as they love and admire themselves. And, if they fear sedition laws, stiff cheese. All Australians, irrespective or political bent, learned to treat the media with suspicion long, long ago.
Posted by Leigh, Monday, 12 December 2005 11:08:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well summed up Leigh

Gosh Lindsay, if you view Phillip Adams as a "small l Liberal" I wonder what a left winger really looks like. Anyone who listens to the ABC as much as I do will have no doubt about its left wing bias. And as for political journalists I wouldn't number more than a handfull at best who were right wing. The rest are well and truly on the left side of politics.

If I were you Lindsay I'd continue drawing your cartoons with the same confidence that you had before the latest laws were passed.

Like most people I welcome what the Government has done.
Posted by Sniggid, Monday, 12 December 2005 12:43:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Lindsay Foyle reminds us all what the freedom of the press means in terms of retaining and maintaining a healthy democracy.

* I wonder if the two posters above have ever published their views publically and with their true identities? I suspect not. Only then would they appreciate what Lindsay is talking about.
Posted by Rainier, Monday, 12 December 2005 1:52:15 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I like the introductory line: "Nothing protects democracy more than free speech."
It has flow and beauty and essence, and pithiness but where do we find this mythical country that has free speech. I don't know of any.
That is all I have to say as I can't say what I want to say.
Posted by GlenWriter, Monday, 12 December 2005 2:18:05 PM
I would suggest that Lindsey Foyle open his/her other eye, all the better to see with!
To say that the ABC is not biased is the most biased statement .
Phillip Adams not a leftie?
I wish we could get rid of all leaners, right and left, then this country might just be a good honest straight forward one where every body has an equal say.
Then the ABC may even give John Howard equal space as they give the Labor Party spokespeople. I'd like to see that.
Posted by mickijo, Monday, 12 December 2005 2:18:55 PM
Thank you Lindsay Foyle. Can you tell me if the new sedition laws could be applied to the 'trueblue Oz' rioters of yesterday? Are they not advocating through violence the overthrow of government policy? Is this what the wording of the Act now comprehends? They have successfully demonstrated the latest wonderful reality of Howard's racist Australia. I suppose you can no longer safely publish where we go from here. Still, I hope you try: Philip Adams might even visit you in prison - if he was allowed to do so. barbh.
Posted by barb h, Monday, 12 December 2005 2:59:39 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy