The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The grammar detective > Comments

The grammar detective : Comments

By Margaret Ann Williams, published 5/1/2006

Margaret Ann Williams finds the use of bad grammar gives away a dubious university scholarship program.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
I recently bought a book published by Oxford Universtity Press.
The GlobiliZation of World Politics (Baylis & Smith.)

I too am concerned that "zee' is taking over from the "zed", and that "zee' is being superimposed over the "es'
yet a Philologist ought answer, language changes.
However grammer, punctuation and other 'academic' writing rules are being neglegted in our education system.

And dont get me started on 'weasel words' otherwise we will end up with a robust enhancement moving forward !
Posted by Coyote, Thursday, 5 January 2006 12:05:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Coyote,
Please start on weazel words.
Put them up on the easel.
Posted by GlenWriter, Thursday, 5 January 2006 12:43:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Also recommend 'Eats, Shoots & Leaves' by Lynne Truss - a guide to punctuation.

Also loath weasel words - had a boss whose fat smile would spread across her face while proclaiming "In the fullness of time".

I agree with article that bad grammar can indicate a spurious claim or agenda. I don't mean typos or occasional mistakes - we are all only human. But consistently bad - like those very dodgy emails.
Posted by Scout, Thursday, 5 January 2006 12:46:31 PM
Oh no it isn't!

>>...rather than with the “s” that is the proud remnant of this country’s British origins.<<

My edition of Fowler's Modern English Usage (the 1937 Edition) is adamant that -ize and -ization are perfectly correct, where the verb in question originated from the Greek.

He goes on to cite the OED as his authority...

"In modern French the suffix has become -iser alike in word from Greek, as baptiser, evengeliser, organiser, and those formed after them from Latin as civiliser, cicatriser, humaniser. Hence some have used the spelling -ise in English, as in French, for all these words, and some prefer -ise in words formed in French or English from Latin elements, retaining -ize for those of Greek composition. But the suffix itself, whatever the element to which it is added, is in its origin the Greek -izein, Latin -izare; and as the pronunciation is also with z, there is no reason why in English the special French spelling should be followed, in opposition to that which is at once etymological and phonetic."

Organization is perfectly good English. It is not an Americanism. The fixation on that -s is pure Franco-baloney.
Posted by Pericles, Thursday, 5 January 2006 1:23:07 PM
Lets not even consider apostrophe's.
Posted by chainsmoker, Thursday, 5 January 2006 2:02:38 PM
Speaking of apostrophes, there's an irritating one in advertisements which appear on the forum front page, to "Win 3 Viva's". Typical of modern, university trained advertising types, who seem to be utterly confused about what the plural of any word ending in a vowel should be, and are still in the dark about plurals for words ending in a consonant, at times. Did anyone mention "more greener" or "herds of sheep"? How about "at the present moment in time" for good old "now"; or the execrable "off of", or "momentarilly" for "soon"?

One thing which really annoys me are computers which fight you to get your regional settings to Australian English. I have one at work which always defaults to US English it's a pain, getting squiggley lines under "centre". Bill Gates has a lot to answer for when it comes to poor spelling- none of his spellcheckers can tell whether it's weather or wether.
Posted by Viking, Thursday, 5 January 2006 3:53:57 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy