The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Clean transport fuels for Australia > Comments

Clean transport fuels for Australia : Comments

By Mike Clarke, published 29/12/2005

Mike Clarke argues Australia must develop alternative liquid fuel resources based on its plentiful solid fossil fuel reserves.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
crikey Taz, you've got a three-letter name.... and I missspelt it!

pfpfpfpfpfpffff

Apologies
Posted by Ludwig, Saturday, 31 December 2005 10:04:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ludwig: Don’t panic. Looking beyond our hopes in new technology we can restart with fresh expectations by looking backwards for a moment.

We have a strong tradition based on good old fashioned Celtic?? enterprise. Strength is a feature of all modern Australian industry with its healthy helping of home grown innovation. We now have quality as one of our mainstream objectives.

I see considerable merit in Mike’s article based on my own exposure to major industry here however readers should be aware that in the full range of engineering here we built a number of white elephants along the way
Posted by Taz, Sunday, 1 January 2006 3:18:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I recommend this long review of Australian technology in practice on the www. Let’s start with the chemical industry, use the index a-z for everything else -

http://www.austehc.unimelb.edu.au/tia/598.html

My interest in retirement includes another area of enterprise, our exploitation of resources. This provides the basis of our trade and industrial wealth that underpins our modern lifestyle. Leadership here can provide huge benefits and offsets elsewhere particularly as we now take many of our designs and developments to places like China. I recently suggested some modern town planners here look at how work and living improved at mining operations like our first big tin mine Mt Bischoff with the advent of hydro power and steam railways through the West Coast region of Tasmania.

http://images.statelibrary.tas.gov.au/Search/Search.asp?Letter=M&Subject=Mines+and+mineral+resources+%2D+Tasmania+%2D+Waratah+%2D+History+%2D+Photographs

Tons of tin are used in window glass manufacture and electronics today and gold still supports our banks. For scenes of great exploitation dating back to the late 1800’s go to these fantastic tourist postcards. Regarding transport; at Williamsford we still had a working silver lead gold and zinc mine at the top of the self acting haulage (gravity) that employed blind ponies underground high up on Mt Read long after the ww2. An aerial ropeway carried the precious ore in buckets over the mountains to the EZ crusher at Rosebery and the old EBR railway to Burnie. There was no through road till 1963. Mt Reid looked across an isolated old hydro scheme at Lake Margaret and on to Mt Lyell and its famous gold and copper mines. Before cheap oil thoughts about major roads in this region were ridiculous.

http://images.statelibrary.tas.gov.au/Search/Search.asp?Letter=M&Subject=Mines+and+mineral+resources+%2D+Tasmania%2C+Western+%2D+History+%2D+Photographs.

Today the larger open cuts and underground mining operations depend on diesel. In considering all our demands for oil, where can we find an electric lift motor today that uses no copper? But more importantly, can we build modern circuits without plastics?

Technology means lots of things to different people.
Posted by Taz, Sunday, 1 January 2006 3:20:06 PM
Mike Clarke’s Reply to comments re: ‘Clean Transport Fuels for Australia’. In THREE PARTS

Firstly I thank those who posted comments and for their contributions to the question of clean transport fuels.

Remco asked the question of why not use natural gas in place of coal or oil shale, since gas is ‘vastly’ cleaner. In reply I must point out that the demand for gas is accelerating (apologies for the pun), and that demand as shown by Chinese and US involvement in Australia’s natural gas (NG) production (as LNG) is likely to prevent the major diversion of gas into GTL operations in Australia, with the exception of some Middle East projects, around the World, ie in reality there will be few stranded gas resources in the near future.

In the case of the Gorgon natural gas project (Western Australia), the Sasol/Chevron proposal to produce GTL essentially fell over due to the US pressure for a reliable LNG supply and due to the immediate economic advantages of a much shorter development time to establish a LNG facility (to the benefit of Chevron). You may remember that John Howard went off to California to convince Governor Arnie to allow the construction of a LNG receival terminal off Longbeach, in place of a terminal in Baja California, where those pesky Mexicans would have a hand on the tap!

Are natural gas resources vastly cleaner than coal or oil shale? Advocates of natural gas point to its considerably lower carbon to hydrogen ratio as compared to coal or oil shale. This ratio means that in burning NG more water is produced than carbon dioxide, but this relationship only holds true at the fence of the utilising facility (eg a power station). Piped natural gas needs compressors every 100 – 150 km of pipe. These compressors utilise a considerable portion of the total gas. Compressor stations also ‘leak’, and leaks are largely methane – thus putting a gas of high global warming potential into the atmosphere.
Posted by MikeC, Thursday, 12 January 2006 3:08:32 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Mike Clarke’s Reply to comments re: ‘Clean Transport Fuels for Australia’. In THREE PARTS - 2

Returning to Gorgon, the resource is quoted as being 20 Trillion Cubic Feet (TCF), with a carbon dioxide content of 17% by volume. On a mass basis, this means that for every 30 ktonnes of raw gas produced, 10 ktonnes carbon dioxide will be stripped out, and 20 ktonnes of purified gas (equal to one petajoule) will be produced. Note: All the carbon dioxide will need to be stripped from the NG to make it suitable for LNG production and export. There are suggestions that the carbon dioxide will be geo-sequestrated, however this operation is energy intensive and thus produces further carbon dioxide emissions.

A much bigger regional gas field, the Indonesian Natuna gas field (300 TCF) even presents greater challenges. The gas composition is reportedly methane 28%, carbon dioxide 71%, hydrogen sulphide 0.5% and nitrogen 0.5% on a volume basis. There are proposals for using this gas for LNG and/or GTL production, however the environmental consequences of its use are considerable. So natural gas is not always vastly cleaner than coal or oil shale.

Another related question. How safe is carbon dioxide geo-sequestration? In Africa there are two lakes (Nyos and Monoun) that can regurgitate vast amounts of carbon dioxide and cause many deaths and much suffering. Are the geo-sequestrators certain of the safety of their activities? I for one would not want to be too close to their geo-sequestration operations, in case of bubble, bubble -- > whoosh!

And Remco, I do not support endless assistance to politically correct but practically stupid projects like producing large quantities of biofuels.

Peakro asks why, ‘No words on global climate change Mike?’. Well overall I am a Greenhouse sceptic or as some would put it, a ‘denialist’!

I agree that we have climate change, but according to the eminent scientist, Professor Bob Carter (James Cook U), it is not exceptional and fits into a cycle that has been around for 500,000 years. See Page 4, the Australian, January 7 – 8, 2006.
Posted by MikeC, Thursday, 12 January 2006 3:09:41 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Mike Clarke’s Reply to comments re: ‘Clean Transport Fuels for Australia’. In THREE PARTS - 3

As to the consensus science peddled by the IPCC, I remember that the great brains of the World has had such undisputable facts as, Phlogiston and Miasma to hold onto. That fossil fuel emissions cause global warming is nothing but a theory.

I however understand that the major Greenhouse gas is water vapour. I am curious to understand how the extensive and on-going deforestation are effecting the planet, and hope that the study of the global climatic effects of deforestation are seriously studied in the future.

In reply to Taswegian, my article points out the desirability of producing GTL in complexes that are also major power stations. I look to closing the ‘well-to-wheels greenhouse emissions of coal-to-liquids at 180% of petroleum based fuels’, very significantly, and possibly totally. In other words maximising the energy extracted from every tonne of coal. As to using waste biomass as the carbon source for F-T fuels, the poor relative carbon content of such fuel feed-stocks and their dispersed nature, make such activities near useless. More biodiesel would be used in collecting feed-stock, synthesising and purifying product, and distributing product, than would be produced.

DFXK raised the idea of nuclear energy for reducing Greenhouse emissions. This will likely be the solution to stationary power uses, but has difficulties re transport fuels. Please watch for developments in Latent Heat Storage and Recovery; there may be a few answers.

To Tas & Ludwig, thanks for the comments. I do not want to see a fuel shortage engineered World depression.

One last point, although I am very much a GHG and Kyoto sceptic, I do agree in fuel/energy conservation. It is only mugs that go out and waste energy, so may we all stop being mugs!
Posted by MikeC, Friday, 13 January 2006 6:21:27 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy