The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Nuclear power: no solution to climate change > Comments

Nuclear power: no solution to climate change : Comments

By Jim Green, published 6/12/2005

Jim Green argues the use of nuclear power is fraught with problems for little significant benefit.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
May I ask in a polite way, "what is wrong with solar power" we use it in the outback, as a power source, why can we not stipulate in building codes that solar panels and hot water systems be fitted to new houses, much like Tasmania stipulates inground water tanks. Solar is a renewable source of energy, has powered cars, and homes, and if a solar panel blows up, we are not in fear of radiation contamination on a wide scale. Solar costs nothing to run or maintain, however can be expensive at the start up stage. Perhaps if the Solar industry was assured a market, the prices could be bought down over time. Jobs would also be created in componentry, assembly, and installation. We have an abundance of sunshine in Australia, why not use it. On the "greenie" side of things it would help to cut our greenhouse emissions, which the federal government has expressed a desire to do. It would also cut household budgets, electricity and hot water. I invite critisism of this idea, but not just for vthe sake of it, if you have a constructive arguement, I would very much like to hear it, as I am unable to see how Solar power would not help to give us an offset to building more and more huge power stations, Regards,Shaun
Posted by SHONGA, Wednesday, 7 December 2005 7:06:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Shonga you asked in a polite way and for my part I will answer from my perspective I hope in an equally magnanimous spirit.

There is nothing wrong with solar power. It is the ideal power source for a large number of applications. Examples are remote areas, low current draw devices, devices that one has a need to run on sunny long days, satelites.

But to run a national electrified rail grid for instance or water pumping stations other alternatives may be more appropriate. No doubt large banks of solar arrays so deployed could contribute and technically could power such operations but then we run into the another aspect of solar power that tells against it as a universal solution.

The need for power to be stored-most commonly (but not necessarily) in batteries. No need here to go into the energy reqirements and toxic nature of some materials used in their construction but they are thought to be considerable.

Well thats my 2 cents worth for what its worth.

By the way, whatever happened to that 1 km high funnel that was going to generate power through updraught? I thought they were going to build it in Aus.
Posted by Jellyback, Wednesday, 7 December 2005 11:47:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Shaun the problem with solar is capital cost and intermittancy. On an overcast day you can realise that in interest terms each kilowatt hour is costing a dollar or so. That contrasts with around 15 cents for coal fired electricity, which of course includes polluting for free. The required cost reductions for solar and night time energy storage may never be achieved. Ditto windpower. For all its problems nuclear keeps plugging away in all weather, day and night with only minor indirect greenhouse emissions.
Posted by Taswegian, Thursday, 8 December 2005 9:46:18 AM
Jellyback,Taswegian, I was thinking along the lines of supplimentry power, relieving large power plants, and the increasing need to continiously be building them, I thank you both for your vconstructive thoughts. I also had in mind R&D, my thoughts were if the solar industry had a guarenteed market, they may be able to mass produce, lowering prices, and also do some R&D to make the units more effective during rainy days, just a thought, your thoughts are appreciated also, Regards,Shaun
Posted by SHONGA, Thursday, 8 December 2005 4:05:35 PM
SHONGA your on the right track!
We do need more imput $$$ into Wind & Solar power. Taswegian go feel how spectacular the power of a strong breeze is just go to Aurthur River (or woolnorth?)where they have the Wind Turbines... and get blown off your feet.

Implementation may be more dollars than what we may want to spend BUT if every one generated their power and sold back to the grid I cant see why it wouldnt work.

Dont forget We also have Tidal Surge and the faithfull old Water Wheel. You know living in a cave may just be more fun than you think!
Posted by Bea Green, Thursday, 8 December 2005 4:55:13 PM
Nah, Living in a cave means we get exposed to far too high a dose of radiation from radon.

As for the idea that uranium has too short a future life for energy, I suggest you read this:

http://www.energypulse.net/centers/article/article_display.cfm?a_id=374

Nuclear is our future.
Posted by Collywobbles, Friday, 9 December 2005 3:34:15 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy