The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Nuclear power: no solution to climate change > Comments

Nuclear power: no solution to climate change : Comments

By Jim Green, published 6/12/2005

Jim Green argues the use of nuclear power is fraught with problems for little significant benefit.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All
Many of these criticisms are undoubtedly true; it's just that the alternatives are pipe dreams. By failing to address oil depletion and global warming with a seamless transition we now have to adopt nuclear as a lifeline. Otherwise we will be living in a world of anarchic failed economies and unstable climate. Some concerns can be mitigated such as reactor designs that do not lend themselves to sabotage or weapons production. Nuclear power can help transport via hydrogen and partial substitution of battery energy in cars. Several decades of nuclear power could provide enough time to settle questions such as sustainability and optimum population. Remember that while we shun nuclear power, countries like China will be going ahead.
Posted by Taswegian, Tuesday, 6 December 2005 9:34:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If we listen to the greenies, in a few generations hence humans will be back to sitting in dark, cold caves growling over raw meat.
Posted by Leigh, Tuesday, 6 December 2005 10:46:17 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I fully support Leigh's comments. The greens would have us wearing sackcloth and using leaves for personal hygiene.

Instead of of the Leftist Luddites endlessly being negative about nuclear power, why don't we in Australia embrace it?

We could make vast sums of money by becoming leaders in nuclear waste processing (as proposed by Bob Hawke) and developing nuclear fusion. Australia has some of the biggest reserves of uranium in the world, and a huge desert to store the waste in.

Nuclear fusion is not usable currently for power generation - imagine the energy we could generate if we could. Maybe Australia should commit to moving away from coal completely, and ONLY using nuclear power.

We should see this as an opportunity, not a threat. But I suppose as usual the greens and the left will bleat on endlessly with their negativity, and not put anything useful on the table (and I include renewable energy in that equation).
Posted by gw, Tuesday, 6 December 2005 11:38:07 AM
Climate Change and Greenhouse Gas Emissions are a major concern to thinking people,However I think "Travel Demand Management" should be the starting block for emissions abatement for all sectors of the community starting from the lone driver to the Traffic Generating Organisations.

Nuclear Power is a no-go zone for me, and I need a lot of convincing to change my thinking! So bring it on...and who the hell is BOB HAWKE when he is anyone anyhow!

What I want to know is, what does it take to get the non-thinking people to think & change bad habits?
Posted by Bea Green, Tuesday, 6 December 2005 12:15:42 PM
May I advice to most reader, that there is a non nuclear, non fossil fuel and crude oil solution to our energy pollution problem, that our Federal Coalition or Labor governments will not tackle, and which they have been informed of for the last 10 years as an alternative and a replacement energy source. Question is WHy? will they not act. Further information can be found on website www.users.bigpond.net.au/dngr
Cy
Posted by Cy, Tuesday, 6 December 2005 12:39:59 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Leigh, if we don't listen to the greenies in a few generations hence humans will be back to sitting in dark, cold caves growling over raw meat.

If we listen to the non-Greenies in a few generations hence humans will be back to sitting in dark, cold caves growling over raw meat.

As we sit today in that dark cave of ignorance between our ears of raw meat we instead could use our grey matter and invent rain as we won't have enough water in a few generations time to produce any raw meat to eat with the non-existant water while we try and heat both with nuclear power.
Posted by GlenWriter, Tuesday, 6 December 2005 1:48:05 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy