The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > How not to negotiate with workers > Comments

How not to negotiate with workers : Comments

By Jim McDonald, published 21/11/2005

Jim McDonald argues the WorkChoices Bill favours employers.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. All
There are a number of contributers to this page who either think that John Howard is a nasty person who hates workers or is a political fool. The fact is that he has shown himself to be neither of these.

For anyone to think that he would introduce legislaton that he thinks will hurt the very people that have voted him into office 4 times demonstrates a total lack of common sense.

John Howard is pushing ahead with these changes for the reasons he has given. That it will increase flexibility, help the economy and benefit employers and employees.

When I started work in the 60's I joined the union. Everyone did in those days. Things have changed. People are more discerning. They will belong if they feel that they get good value for their money. Otherwise, they will choose to not be union members.

I left the union when they took actions that actually worked against us. Fortunately at a time when state IR legislation gave us the opportunity to negotiate workplace agreements that included "trade offs" or in other words paid us for taking on responsibilities that we were already doing anyway. We got the best deal ever.

The Federal IR changes may or may not work. Personally I am quite confident that they will work. However, it will be up to the electors to make the judgement at the next election.
Posted by Sniggid, Monday, 28 November 2005 11:14:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Are u saying that we should all just shut up untill the next election?John Howard is a liar and a scaremongerer. Core promises, what tripe.He is smart, he has tapped into the me society nicely. However its not much good having cheap intrest rates, when you cant get a home loan.Many of Johns battlers are about to learn the truth about this man, and they wont like it one bit.
Posted by hedgehog, Monday, 28 November 2005 11:28:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hedgehog - I don't know how often your kids sleep, but mine go to bed around 8pm and get up around 7.30-8am.

Of course you would know anyway, you seem to think you know everything about me anyway.

Why is an example of how a flexible arrangement was stifled by a union not relevant to a debate about industrial relations. Don't you like arguments which paint certain aspects of unionism as bullying and not family-friendly.

I stand by my (unsuccessful) attempt to work more night shifts and weekends to spend time with my kids. If other worker's so despise these time slots, they should be happy that they would have had fewer to work. 9-5 work doesn't suit everyone, so why should I be dictated to by anyone.

Aaron - I know what your proposal involves and if it remained uncorrupted it would be a good example of people voting with their feet. However, the company should be judged on how it treats all its workers not how it treats it's unionised workers, otherwise it wouldn't recognise workers deservingly earning more than award wages or working under conditions which they find beneficial.

t.u.s
Posted by the usual suspect, Monday, 28 November 2005 1:34:46 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy