The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A tarnished reputation: prisoners and the vote > Comments

A tarnished reputation: prisoners and the vote : Comments

By Debra Parkes, published 18/11/2005

Debra Parkes argues Australia should allow prisoners voting rights.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
A question:

Does anyone here know anyone currently incarcerated?

Has anyone ever been incarcerated?

They are murderers. wife bashers etc....am i hearing correct?

My name is not decieving at all, Wrighta, by the sounds you have had the wool pulled over your eyes in the comfortabe middle class for 2 long.

We have so many close minded people in the country it makes me sick. In fact, i am sick of wasting time posting to those who have these %$^# opinions. i will never post again. ever.

I am so disgusted at these views, i thought at least people invloved in this would have some intellect. People just put people into baskets: Muslims, Inmates, you name it some idiot will tell you they are all no good. Stereotypes, i cant believe it, i am sopposed to be talking with some of the cream here and they spew crap like this.

Have a nice boring life most of you. For some of you, take your energy and put it somewhere productive, we could hear this at the pub.
Posted by Realist, Friday, 18 November 2005 2:26:33 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"My name is not decieving at all, Wrighta, by the sounds you have had the wool pulled over your eyes in the comfortabe middle class for 2 long."

Oh yes, poor middle class me, I don't have anyone in my family convicted of a crime. You're almost suggesting that if you're in the lower class bracket you have a perpetual excuse to be anti-social! Ridiculous! We all have obligations to NOT commit crimes, coming from a poor family makes no differences, especially in our welfare system.

"We have so many close minded people in the country it makes me sick. In fact, i am sick of wasting time posting to those who have these %$^# opinions. i will never post again. ever."

Clever. You hear a different opinion to your own, rant about how we have closed minded people in this country, and decide not to listen to that opinion.

http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/

Gee, more deceiving names. I was under the impression this was a forum for various opinions… guess I was wrong!

"I am so disgusted at these views, i thought at least people invloved in this would have some intellect. People just put people into baskets: Muslims, Inmates, you name it some idiot will tell you they are all no good. Stereotypes, i cant believe it, i am sopposed to be talking with some of the cream here and they spew crap like this."

Um, I hate to state the obvious- but prisoners are 'no good'. That’s why they are inmates- they have broken the law. That's not to say they cannot make a life for themselves when they get out, though. Making such a life, however, doesn’t need to include the right to vote.
Posted by wrighta, Friday, 18 November 2005 2:46:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Realist,

I have unfortunately been incarcerated (joy of growing up in Jo Land).

I have been subjected to manufactured verbal confessions, unlawful arrest, villification, defamation, mis/malfeasance (by police) and consequently I have a very open view of what causes people to become disaffected and disenfranchised with society. However, due to the fact that I managed, through good fortune and artifice, to avoid being convicted on any count, I am still viewed as an upstanding member of society.

this however has resulted in my having less than complete trust in the police, political and executive arm of government. Remember, a large number of the most violent offenders have good reason to mistrust police and society in general. There are many forms of evil - those who commit it, and even worse those who condone it.
Posted by Aaron, Friday, 18 November 2005 5:59:27 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The thing that fascinates me is the profoundly undemocratic nature of international "law". As far as I am aware, there is no country where the people have delegated any power over themselves to any international organisation, there is (thankfully) no world government, there is no world army. There is so little internationalist feeling generally that UN peacekeeping forces, particularly in Africa, are often recruited from the jails.

Yet we still have this group in the world that constantly seeks to impose on people "laws" that the people don't want, and which the group is unable to have passed in the national parliament. We are particularly fortunate in Australia that it does not lie within the power of the politicians to change the text of the Federal Constitution, as this can only be done by the people. The only other country in which this applies is Switzerland. We have a simple procedure: the proposed change is submitted to the people at a referendum, at which we vote NO. The thing we lack that Switzerland has is popular initiative referendum, where signatures on a petition forces the government to hold a referendum, and if passed becomes law. If we ever get this in Australia the first such referendum would be for bringing back hanging, and this would solve the convict voting problem.
Posted by plerdsus, Saturday, 19 November 2005 5:25:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree that prisoners should be allowed to vote because, as I understand it, most of the prison population is incarcerated for non-payment of fines.

Analysis of the Tasmanian prison statistics supports this claim. Only Tas & Qld statistics were free and only Tas data cube had the breakdown by major crime
Posted by billie, Saturday, 19 November 2005 5:43:36 AM
My view is that those that are in jail have been removed from society and thus have no right to vote until released back into our society.

We should care little about what the International Covenant on Civil and political Rights has to say. We are a soverign nation and we decide what happens in Aus. Had enough of UN Committees, made up of delegates from despot countries, coming here and lecturing US on human rights. They should concentrate on some African and Asain countries, to start with.

As far as prisoner voting is concernerned. It is of little interest what happens in Canada, USA, or Europe. We followed them in introducing pseudo-multiculturalism and just look where that has taken them and us. We do not need their examples
Posted by Banjo, Saturday, 19 November 2005 8:46:55 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy