The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > IR reform: sharing the pain and gain > Comments

IR reform: sharing the pain and gain : Comments

By Nicholas Gruen, published 24/11/2005

Nicholas Gruen argues the best time for IR reform is during an economic downturn.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Who here would support a 'Family Freindly' notice on applicable merchandise? Would anyone, adjust their purchasing on the basis of it? Would anyone use only stores, and purchase only items that wore it?

Please just a short reply, i am trying to guage interest.
Posted by Aaron, Friday, 25 November 2005 10:19:12 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I modify my purchasing to avoid rewarding / supporting firms whose actions I disapprove of.
Posted by billie, Friday, 25 November 2005 11:16:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sure Arron i think its a great idea. Hard to implement though.
Posted by hedgehog, Friday, 25 November 2005 12:04:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am already doing it where possible;(as are so many people I know) I will most certainly be interested.
Posted by tinkerbell1952, Friday, 25 November 2005 1:52:53 PM
ACTU / ALP could easily register / trademark a logo (ie like 'buy australian made') that could be included on th epackaging / promotional material of companies that complied with the standards.

It would be entirely voluntary, however it would appeal to many (particularly LARGE retailers etc.) as they spend $B on advertising / marketing to improve their market share. If they bit, their suppliers would have to comply as well (inc. transport etc.). Also as it is voluntary standard, there is no way for fe(de)ral gumbimint to regulate it.

Stores / suppliers that did not comply would overwhemingly suffer at the check-out (where it hurts). IR reforms do not address the dichotomy that whilst the employer is more powerful than individual employees', individual employees' are all consumers, which by definition may control employers' / producers.

Perhaps some of our largest retailers / employers' could even be induced to paying to advertise with this logo?
Posted by Aaron, Friday, 25 November 2005 3:25:28 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Aaron, I would definately support a union friendly business, with the appropiate approval of the A.C.T.U. at the expense of businesses without the approval.
Posted by SHONGA, Friday, 25 November 2005 10:07:59 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy