The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Protecting freedom of speech > Comments

Protecting freedom of speech : Comments

By Philip Ruddock, published 15/11/2005

Philip Ruddock argues Australians have nothing to fear from the new anti-terrorism legislation.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
PLANTA aka PETER... (and Teiran)

Speaking of EROS.. I had quite a lively email exchange with Robbie Swan on such issues.. I made a bit of a goat of myself actually, advising him that now that 'we' had control of the Senate 'we' will 'crush' the mail order trade :) dream on Boaz.... as I referred to the letter from our esteemed Mr Ruddock.. this is clearly not where the government wishes to be.

Teiran.. I don't know where you came up with all that 'missionary position' stuff.. I sure as heck don't find it in the Bible-I think you should read the Song of Solomon some time.

Without going further into the politics of it, (except to say that 'regulation' absolutely did 'not' deliver what it was touted to do...more illegal brothels.. under age hookers brought in from outside the country etc... sex slavery ) let me make the point that we should be emphasising 'love' and not 'lust'.. and I mean this as a community. I say 'we should' obviously from a specifically Christian perspective, and no amount of legal mumbo jumbo can ever institionalize 'love' as I understand it.

BUT... if we as a community and society frame values of human dignity and worth, mutual respect, caring, and not materialistic and enshrine as much as possible these values into our legal system, and specially education, then we are creating an environment where the right 'message' is being sent to the population.

My 'obsession' with xxx is in reality just tackling one symptom of a society alientated from God. Planta, I take all your points on board about the net etc, so I'm not responding with some 'master plan' to that as its logistically difficult.

Hence my previous conclusion...

I have no 'earthly utopia' to offer in the wider political sense, I can only assure the readers that there will be a personal utopia and joy in the Kingdom of God for those for whom Christ is King :)

"I came that they might have life, and have it in all abundance."Jhn10:10
Posted by BOAZ_David, Saturday, 19 November 2005 7:29:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
BD

Many thanks for your thoughtfull call today. I found it really comforting.

Cheers
Kay
Posted by kalweb, Saturday, 19 November 2005 5:39:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Boaz

No problems. I respect your outlook.

Peter
Posted by plantagenet, Sunday, 20 November 2005 2:40:35 AM
Kay....you are most welcome :)

If we cannot spend a moment to encourage someone, then we don't have much eh :)

How nice it would be for an OLO 'grand eyeball' gathering one day .. woo.. we will need lots of 'mops' to wipe up all the blood from the fights :) nah.. not really.

Cheers
Posted by BOAZ_David, Monday, 21 November 2005 8:55:35 AM
In a number of newspapers today there are articles about Amanda Vanstone indicating that security is virtually a nonsense. From today's The Age: "During a recent speech in Adelaide, Senator Vanstone said some aviation security measures were more about making people feel better than improving security."

Does that mean that all the Anti Terrorist legislation is nothing but hype.
Posted by ant, Monday, 21 November 2005 8:32:16 PM
Even the conservative Autralian stated today: "In a wide-ranging speech to Adelaide Rotarians, Senator Vanstone dismissed many commonwealth security measures as essentially ineffective. "To be tactful about these things, a lot of what we do is to make people feel better as opposed to actually achieve an outcome," Senator Vanstone said.
Posted by ant, Monday, 21 November 2005 8:54:09 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy