The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Opening Australia’s borders > Comments

Opening Australia’s borders : Comments

By Tiziana Torresi, published 4/11/2005

Tiziana Torresi examines the argument for relaxing immigration laws and finds its supporters are misguided.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 17
  10. 18
  11. 19
  12. All
Will we ever solve Australia's poverty problem, most people live in relative comfort, but not all. In Townsville North Queensland, we have a population of approx 200,000 of which over a thousand families are homeless, if this is typical of Australia in general there is a large minority of our own people living in poverty, by Australian standards. Why would we bring large numbers of immigrants here to share the same fate? With the draconian Bills entered into the Federal Parliament this week, I expect our number of homeless to swell, as low income people lose the struggle to meet their mortages, and join the ranks of the homeless. A very sad situation in a developed country such as Australia, we have competed thus far with the global enonomy by applied technology, however our exports have been static for the last 5 years, and so now we plan to compete by cutting wages and conditions of the most vunerable in our society. We must be proud of our astute line of thinking, the reverse Robin Hood theory, immigrants who come won't be the poor variety, and this of course will do absolutely nothing to solve our poverty crisis, we should remember the old expression "charity begins at home" when we cure our own problems, then let's take as many immigrants as our economy will allow.
Posted by SHONGA, Saturday, 5 November 2005 12:57:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Not once in Tiziana Torresi article did she even mention whether unrestricted immigration was inimical to the interests of the Australian people. People with Ms Torresi’s peculiar mindset once again display their total lack of empathy with Australians. Although, with a name like Torresi, she is probably just another hyphenated Australian who could not give a fig for the people of the country she or her parents migrated to.

With over 100 million people being added to the world’s population every year, one can only speculate upon te sanity of Ms Torresi and her cohorts if they think that world poverty can be simply solved through immigration. A simple appreciation of obvious facts might stimulate a bit of neuronal activity in Ms Torresi’s dormant brain.

For 200 years, the white North European people people have led the world in scientific and social acheivment, and it is to the lands of the white North European people that immigrants and asylum shoppers most desperately wish to migrate too. Obviously, white Prots are doing something right.

The Catholics, which Ms Toressi is probably a member, took a lot longer to throw off the dead weight of religion and follow the Prots. But some advanced Catholic countries are now beginning to stabilise their populations and become prosperous.

Asian cultures which largely adopted our models of government and economics are doing just fine.

That leaves just black Africa and the Muslim world going backwards. If Ms Torresi and her friends want to solve poverty, then they should be looking at what cultural and genetic factors are at work in these societies which make them utter failures. Instead of constantly attcking succesful societies, a bit of informed criticism towards the cultures of failed societies would be far more constructive.

Multiculturalism is an obvious failure, as the brewing civil war in Catholic France is now about to show once again. Imitating failure is not a noted ideal for North European people.
Posted by redneck, Saturday, 5 November 2005 3:52:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yuyutsu,
Note: you evaluate protection of our borders as selfishness, by the following quote; "It is out of our selfish human interests that we block others from arriving, keeping the space only for ourselves: this is an acceptable weakness - but should not be idealized: the ideal is that every human can walk across this planet of ours whenever and wherever they choose to." What is your home address as I can direct some homeless street youth looking for accomodation your way. Providing you apply no rules and requlations they will fit in well, their diet is alcohol and their enjoyment sex and pot. They are not allowed into my home space because they do not abide by my rules.

I work with them where they are until social changes in their lives happen where they can become proud citizens and make worthy contributions to our society. Though I currently give them a feed I would hope they are not relying on me for a feed in five years time, but are themselves taking my place to assist others..
Posted by Philo, Saturday, 5 November 2005 9:39:36 AM
Yuyutsu - "instinctively we know that people should be able to go wherver they want on the face of this earth, just as birds do".

To start with, birds of a feather flock together. And I would say humans are much more territorial than birds anyhow, so we are not 'free to roam'.

Boaz - "It always makes me just about choke when I hear of the 'unemployment problem' among Indigenous people here, as THOUGH.. they will only ever be truly human if they have a 'western' type job."

Indigenous people still need to work as they always have to survive: collecting food, water and providing shelter. The indigenous unemployed still collect benefits. And SOME sniff petrol, smoke dope and drink untill they can't walk (not a traditional part of their culture). So I would expect them to do something more meaningful even if it does mean "having a 'western' type job "
Posted by davo, Saturday, 5 November 2005 9:48:16 AM
"instinctively we know that people should be able to go wherver they want on the face of this earth, just as birds do".

I would suggest the person or persons who are, already, where others would seek to "occupy" should have some say in the matter. That has been a common human practice since the time people occupied caves and built their earliest shelters and tends to suggest the notion that people follow a pattern of free migration (like birds) is a load of budgie pooh.

I for one would resist the occupation of Australia by religious zealots of any ethnicity who would choose to cast out the values I hold dear and replace them with something inferior which favoured their own cast.

I would suggest, someone wishing to go wherever they want should first seek permission of those already where they want to be and comply with the laws and conditions for acceptance. If they do not have sufficient respect for the laws of the recipient land to do that, then they obviously lack the values and temperament to make a success of eventual "assimilation" from their anticipated migration.

Such views are not selfish, they are protective of standards and values. A lot of this “universal humanity crap” is just the left wanting to find an issue on which to promote and justify their own worthless existence. The world is not just one big commune and anyone who thinks it is I suggest they migrate to North Korea and experience the merits of collectivism in all its glory – but hurry it is not much time left before NK manages to starve itself to death.
Posted by Col Rouge, Saturday, 5 November 2005 1:10:40 PM
YABBY..spot on mate.

Short term or at least fixed term guest workers is how Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei and many other nations achieve solutions to their labor shortages.

KRAKEN
I don’t know how many are of my ‘ilk’ as you put it, but be assured, I totally welcome your comment about the Indigenous people of Australia. If I was indigenous (I’m married to an indigenous lady from Borneo, so I know what goes on) and know what I know now, I think a quick execution of all whites would have saved them. (i.e. national defense)

Such is the way of history that this is no longer possible and it leaves us 2 options.
-Seek to address wrongs done and reconciliation.
Or
-Just let them die out

(which was the Sarawak government decision about my wifes people, who are very much still around, due to their embracing of the gospel of Christ).
My preference is for the first option. There is much which can be done, which will still protect the current historical interests of the ‘invaders’ and the ‘invaded’.

THE IMPORTANT LESSON to draw from our own past history and from more contemporary history is that human nature has not changed. Every recognizable distinct cultural group coming to these shores is exactly the same as ‘we’ (the white mob) were when we came. They have culturalreligious centric interests and will do exactly what we did, seek to advance and push them to the forefront of national life.

My favorite illustration of this comes from Ivory Coast. The original tribes discovered much wealth in the diamond mines etc, they opened their hearts to surrounding tribes from across their borders, with the invitation to come and ‘share our prosperity’. They came.. they shared and then they tried to take it all, and now there is civil war.

YUYUTSU.. are u a Japanese female ? Your writing style kind of stands out, your comments are pretty good I feel, though a little idealistic. One point. Keeping others ‘out’ may not be ‘selfishness’ as much as responsible stewardship of security and social equalibrium.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Saturday, 5 November 2005 2:40:02 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 17
  10. 18
  11. 19
  12. All